Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Tonight was Movie Night... but there really wasn't really anything out that we wanted to see... we could have gone to see something that could have been fairly average, or we could have stayed at my place and rented a DVD, but in the end we settled on going down to Marion and seeing Wall-E for the second time (and it holds up to a second viewing).
So instead, seeing as I "celebrated" 100 movies on Friday, I thought I might indulge in one of those slightly pointless, but hopefully vaguely interesting posts that kind of sums up the last 100 movies...
First up, my scores out of ten... we've had fire demons, wingfeathers, Monican spies, Baby Bonds, Puddleducks, loaded dice, repeating storylines, secret ingredients, Monkey Kings and Japsers out of ten... and this is how they stack up...
- 10 out of 10: 2
- 9 out of 10: 22
- 8 out of 10: 23
- 7 out of 10: 35
- 6 out of 10: 13
- 5 out of 10: 4
- 4 out of 10: 1 (Marie Antoinette, in case you were wondering)
My Top Ten
- Stranger Than Fiction (10 narrators out of 10)
- Wall-E (10 Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-class robots out of 10)
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (9 hidden derringers out of 10)
- The Producers (9 goose-stepping chorus boys out of 10)
- The Wrong Man (9 "bad dogs" out of 10)
- Mrs Henderson Presents (9 tableaus out of 10)
- V for Vendetta (9 masked assassins out of 10)
- Brokeback Mountain (9 fishing trips out of 10)
- Transformers (9 mysterious cubes out of 10)
- The Prestige (9 Transported Men out of 10)
- Unexpectedly Good Movie: There have been a few of these... but if I had to chose something that I really didn't expect to be any good as all and it really surprised me, then this award goes to Eagle Eye.
- Unexpectedly Bad Movie: King Kong, no contest... there were worse movies, but I kinda knew they were going to suck going in... this one I'd been looking forward to and it just didn't live up to the hype.
- Funniest Movie: Probably The Producers... even though I know over half of it by heart now it still cracks me up.
- Saddest Movie: I've shed a few tears at the movies in my time, but if we're only counting the last 100 films then this has to be Bridge to Terabithia!
- Best Adaptation: If I'm only counting books that I read before I saw the movies for this one... then Memoirs of a Geisha takes this award out.
- Worst Adaptation: This is a toss up between Eragon and Howl's Moving Castle... both good books that they turned into lackluster movies.
- Hottest Actor: This is a difficult choice... there have been so many... Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans, Ben Foster, Josh Hartnett, Ben Whishlaw, most of the cast of 300, Charlie Cox, Andy Whitfield, Jamie Campbell Bower, Shia LeBeouf, Ben Barnes and James McAvoy to name just a few... but if I'm going to go with pure enthusiasm in my review, it would have to Daniel Craig...