one hundred movies

movie popcornTonight was Movie Night... but there really wasn't really anything out that we wanted to see... we could have gone to see something that could have been fairly average, or we could have stayed at my place and rented a DVD, but in the end we settled on going down to Marion and seeing Wall-E for the second time (and it holds up to a second viewing).

So instead, seeing as I "celebrated" 100 movies on Friday, I thought I might indulge in one of those slightly pointless, but hopefully vaguely interesting posts that kind of sums up the last 100 movies...

First up, my scores out of ten... we've had fire demons, wingfeathers, Monican spies, Baby Bonds, Puddleducks, loaded dice, repeating storylines, secret ingredients, Monkey Kings and Japsers out of ten... and this is how they stack up...
  • 10 out of 10: 2
  • 9 out of 10: 22
  • 8 out of 10: 23
  • 7 out of 10: 35
  • 6 out of 10: 13
  • 5 out of 10: 4
  • 4 out of 10: 1 (Marie Antoinette, in case you were wondering)
And if I had to pick my Top Ten out of the last 100 movies, I think it would go a little something like this (of course as soon as I post this I'll change my mind over roughly half of them, if not the movies themselves then the ordering)...

My Top Ten
  1. Stranger Than Fiction (10 narrators out of 10)
  2. Wall-E (10 Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-class robots out of 10)
  3. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (9 hidden derringers out of 10)
  4. The Producers (9 goose-stepping chorus boys out of 10)
  5. The Wrong Man (9 "bad dogs" out of 10)
  6. Mrs Henderson Presents (9 tableaus out of 10)
  7. V for Vendetta (9 masked assassins out of 10)
  8. Brokeback Mountain (9 fishing trips out of 10)
  9. Transformers (9 mysterious cubes out of 10)
  10. The Prestige (9 Transported Men out of 10)
And to finish up, the Award goes to...
  • Unexpectedly Good Movie: There have been a few of these... but if I had to chose something that I really didn't expect to be any good as all and it really surprised me, then this award goes to Eagle Eye.

  • Unexpectedly Bad Movie: King Kong, no contest... there were worse movies, but I kinda knew they were going to suck going in... this one I'd been looking forward to and it just didn't live up to the hype.

  • Funniest Movie: Probably The Producers... even though I know over half of it by heart now it still cracks me up.

  • Saddest Movie: I've shed a few tears at the movies in my time, but if we're only counting the last 100 films then this has to be Bridge to Terabithia!

  • Best Adaptation: If I'm only counting books that I read before I saw the movies for this one... then Memoirs of a Geisha takes this award out.

  • Worst Adaptation: This is a toss up between Eragon and Howl's Moving Castle... both good books that they turned into lackluster movies.

  • Hottest Actor: This is a difficult choice... there have been so many... Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans, Ben Foster, Josh Hartnett, Ben Whishlaw, most of the cast of 300, Charlie Cox, Andy Whitfield, Jamie Campbell Bower, Shia LeBeouf, Ben Barnes and James McAvoy to name just a few... but if I'm going to go with pure enthusiasm in my review, it would have to Daniel Craig...
Current Mood:

6 comments:

Victor said...

The good thing is that everyone has a different opinion about these things and mine would differ markedly from yours on the movies but I agree with you about Chris Evans being hot. I put Ryan Gosling in the same category.

cb said...

Interesting lists! Of course I loved Wall-e... but it was odd that I found someone else who liked "Stranger than Fiction". I really enjoyed that film!

Victor said...

I should have mentioned that I also liked Stranger than Fiction. It is the only film I have enjoyed seeing Will Ferrell in, who otherwise has left me cold.

yani said...

Victor: I don't know that I've ever seen Ryan Gosling in anything... of course the only thing that I know he was in is The Notebook...

CB: Stranger Than Fiction was the first movie I ever gave a 10 out of 10 to...

Jeremy: If you enjoyed Howl, you should find the book, it should blow your socks off. Visually the movie was pretty good, but the plot was a disaster. And yes, I've seen pretty much everything out of Studio Ghibli.

Tom said...

So it's a scale out of 4 then really, apart from an occasional 4, 5, or 10! :)

I always enjoy the descriptions for the scores. What inspired you to start them?

yani said...

Well, kinda... maybe you could say it would stretch to 7... but I will admit that most of my scores and in the 9-6 range. Trust me though, if I ever go to see anything that deserves a 1, 2 or 3, I'll rate it that way (Phantom of the Opera always springs to mind as something I would have given 0 out of 10 to). But I do tend to avoid seeing movies I know I'd hate... saves everybody a lot of time and energy.

Honestly, I don't remember why I started with the score descriptions... maybe it was something I'd seen or read somewhere else and just "borrowed", or maybe it was just something I came up with for Batman Begins (the whole "traumatised billionaires" thing) and it stuck.

It was interesting putting the list together and looking at all my scores and their descriptions, more than once I looked at it and thought "why the hell did I use that description" before it eventually dawned on me.