movies: eagle eye

if you want to live you will obeyI can't remember the last time a movie finished and I was quite so wiped out...

But after Eagle Eye it was a whole world of taking a long, deep breath. The movie not only has a LOT of running and ducking and dodging and hiding and things blowing up, but they manage to keep the tension pretty high, so even when it's just people standing around talking it still feels like you're running and dodging. And that's what you want in an action movie, I think.

Although when the movie first started I did check my ticket just to see if we were in the right cinema... it didn't start the way I thought it would. And it almost seemed like a completely different movie for a while... but that was all just setting up the backstory for the plot, and it went away eventually.

Then there was some character backstory... blah, blah, he died, he has a trumpet, oh look explosives and guns and SWAT team, oh my, blah, blah, blah... and THEN the story really kicked into high gear and never throttled down again for the rest of the movie.

Okay, the beginning section wasn't as uninteresting as I might be making it sound, but it was starting to feel like it was trying to be one of those political terrorism drama movies that seem to be flavour of the month at present.

But then a crane crashes into the side of a building... so you know it can only improve from there.

And the movie is full of people I'm quite fond of... the ever-lickable Shia LaBeouf (yeah, you can say what you like... I still think he's Teh Coolness), Michelle Monaghan (I told you she was going to go places, and I was right), Ethan Embry (who I didn't recognise for the longest time... he got all grown up and stuff), and the ever lovely Rosario Dawson (being all buttoned down, which makes a change from the other things I've seen her in).

Even the people I'm not traditionally fond of, like Billy Bob Thornton, were pretty good.

And while it wasn't a perfect movie, there really isn't anything I can pick on it about... if there were any bad special effects I honestly didn't notice them... but I was so caught up in the story that pretty much all the possible plot holes (and I'm sure there were more than a few) passed right by me. The only thing I did notice was that we didn't see one particular character at the end, so their fate was kind of left up in the air.

But it's just a big, rollicking adventure really... definitely one for the DVD collection!

yani's rating: 4 surveillance cameras out of 5

No comments: