photo friday: black charger

black charger 2007I snapped this after we'd been to the Kite Festival, near where we stopped to have lunch... given the newness of the paint colour there's no way that it's original, although I guess it could be a repainting of the original signage...

And I have no idea what the hell "Black Charger" might be... I'm guessing some kind of cough medicine though...

I just love either painted buildings or old signs like this... and in the spot where it was it just looked right... like it was supposed to be there.

Current Mood:

2 comments:

Larry said...

There's an Irish Pub just down the street (and around the corner) that's a painted building. Not quite the same deal, but nevertheless interesting. If you do a google image search for "Brian Boru Portland Maine" the first picture you get should be a picture of the tucan painted on the side. I'm telling you, that place has a frigging multi-colored tucan on the side but it's a straight pub! Incidentally the website with that picture has some other cool images of Portland.

I tried doing a search for Black Charger and came up dry. Your theory sounds feasible though.

Tom said...

A charger is a sort of horse bred to be in the first line of the cavalry... Black Charger must be the brand name for whatever cough medicine, hence the logo!

I love that sort of thing too... there's an original (but how old I don't know... probably not very) mural for Bushell's Tea in Sydney CBD near my office.