drowned rat

When I got out of the shower a little while ago I was possibly LESS wet than I was during my walk this morning...

After yesterday morning's rain induced drama and the fact that I came out of it mostly unscathed once I finally got out there, I figured I would just do my normal thing this morning (although I did have a little bit of a lie in since it was raining rather heavily when I woke up)... when I set out the rain was a little heavier than it had been yesterday, but still manageable...

That lasted until I got to Wellington Square... when it decided to start raining heavily... then that calmed down a bit, but just as I hit the top of the hill it started to bucket down... and by the time I'd made it down the hill I was sopping wet... then I stepped in a puddle that was deeper than I though it was, and hey presto, my previously dry socks and sneakers were wet...

It wasn't helped by the fact that I was wearing my grey marle Fubu teeshirt... and you know what happens to grey marle when it gets wet... it gets a lot darker... so it was pretty obvious just how wet I was... that and the fact that the teeshirt was clinging to me like a second skin after a couple of minutes. I paused under the awning by Adelaide Oval and wrung some of the water out of my shirt (yes, I was THAT wet)... then gritted my teeth and set off again.

As I went down the slope towards the river there was this woman running the opposite way to the way I was going, and we had that moment where you make eye contact and we both smiled, knowing that the other person knew exactly how we were feeling, and the fact that neither of us could have gotten any wetter, and that we were both clearly insane being out in this weather doing what we were doing.

I stopped again under the Morphett Street Bridge to yet again ring as much of my teeshirt out as I could (and swear silently at the swans and the ducks with their waterproofing)... then off I went...

And just before I got to the weir, the rain stopped. Not slowed, not softened, but stopped completely and totally... so there I am, less than half of my walk finished, soaked through to the bone (although, surprisingly I wasn't the least little bit cold) and it stops raining. At least when it was raining I had a valid excuse for looking like a drowned rat...

If anything the weir (which I think technically is more of a sluice gate) was even more spectacular today than it was yesterday... since I started walking down by the river it's pretty much always been dry in the whole catchment area on the far side of the gate before the river starts again, but today it was a raging white froth of water swirling and churning and getting all into everywhere... very impressive.

And of course, by the time I got back the water had had a chance to soak through everything (if it hadn't already been wet), so even my underwear was soaked through. At least it's Friday, so everything that needs to (ie my sneakers) should have a chance to dry out before I need it again. But it didn't rain again (other than a few stray drops) until after I got home again.

Current Mood:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Yani, pour boy! At least you got your walking km and you entered the wet T-shirt competition without knowing.

I know pour should be with double 'oo' but with all the rain on your bod it felt appropriate ;-)

S said...

Besides walking around with soggy shoes and socks, wet jeans are like an extra 25 pounds of weight on your body. Ugh.

yani said...

Except for the fact I was wearing sweat pants, yes.... wet jeans are quite horrible to wear.