painting: purple rose

purple roseObviously Christmas is "painting season" for me... I have (or had until I finished up this one) four canvases on the go (this one, a possible piece for Fox, something for J's sister's 21st and something for my cousin's youngest daughter)... not counting the two I already finished that are Christmas presents...

This is another one of those "happy accident" paintings... originally it was going to be the basis for another idea I had... but I realised that for the idea in question and the person it was aimed at, it was way too overly fussy. Then Ma commented on it possibly on Tuesday... sometime recently anyway... but not yesterday... so I kind of thought I might be able to turn it into something for her.

While we were doing the Tea Tree Plaza thing yesterday we found this art supply store that was far too funky for it's own damn good (and had a floor that was very cool... just tons of paint in four different colours slopped all over the place), and as we left I noticed this cool painting in the window that had a background similar to this one. And it had this groovy almost tribal tattoo kind of foreground to it. So I figured, something in that whole genre might be good.

Of course, when I came to make something out of my canvas this afternoon I couldn't actually remember what the hell the painting I saw yesterday looked like as far as details went... so I tried sketching out a couple of things... thought about trying something a little bit seahorse, but that wouldn't come together for me... then was just doodling and came up with this rose idea.

So I sketched it out on the canvas, and added the leaves at the last minute (since I figured it was more likely to actually look like a flower if I added things that looked like leaves).

Looking at it now, I think I possibly should have done it with three "sides" rather than just two... let it overlap a little more... but all in all I'm not displeased with it.

But when it came to naming it, all I could think of was The Purple Rose of Cairo... so it nearly ended up being called "Cairo" before my better judgement won out.

Current Mood:

No comments: