montage monday: windows

windows 2006This may be one of the more random Monday Montages for a while... the montage is architectural again... windows to be exact... although that should be pretty obvious... and nothing overly of note happened this weekend... just shopping and hanging out... but when I came to make my musing notes last night (what, I like to be organised, and make sure I don't forget to mention anything), there were a bunch of things that hopped into my brain.

When I was adding the images to the Blogging Thoughts post yesterday I noticed that above the box where the image path goes there's a line of text that says "Add another image"... and what do you know... you can add up to five images all at once to a post... I'm going to assume that's always been there and I've just never noticed it before rather than it being something new... but if it was new then I wouldn't feel quite so dumb for not having noticed it until now...

Speaking of Blogger and images... I know that I'm not the only one who goes to upload an image, gets the "Done" button, clicks it, and doesn't get the image popping up in the post... but I did accidentally work out a while ago the best way (or maybe just an easy way) to fix the problem. Open the "Edit posts" link in another window and hit the "Edit" button on any other post... wait for it to load, and the image that didn't show in the post you're working on should pop right up. I don't know why or how it works, but it does... I do it all the time (in fact, I had to do it today to get the montage to show up). Plus, it stops you having to repost images over and over trying to get them to load.

I'm a big fan of random weird happenstances, and while I was flicking through the paper yesterday I came across a set of images by Dr Stephen Young from his art exhibition The Making of the Australian Archipelago (scroll to the bottom of the page in the link)... and on Saturday evening I finished reading Aquamarine by Australian gay/sci-fi author Mel Keegan where the story takes place, and I quote, "in the late 21st Century when major land masses have been submerged by rising oceans and the Earth is a world of water"... and interestingly enough one of the land areas mentioned frequently is the "Commonwealth of Australian Island Republics", and although I can't find the reference right now it does describe Australia as an archipelago. I just thought it was weird that the day after I finish the book I find the photos.

Also in the paper over the weekend was a little blurb about the new shows from the US that various stations have bought the rights to, or are buying, I don't know, I only really skimmed the main part of the article... I was pleased to see that Channel 7 is getting Heroes and Ugly Betty... definitely Heroes at any stage, the whole concept just sounds cool... Ugly Betty could be good, but it could also be one of those shows that's just really cringeworthy and embarrassing.

And speaking of teevee... I watched The Agatha Christie Code on Sunday afternoon... someone in the blogsphere said it recently (I think it was an Australian blogger, but can't remember who for the life of me) that since The Da Vinci Code, suddenly everything is a Code... there was The Michelangelo Code on the other week, and now this. It was kind of interesting though, how they went through all her work and used computer programs to analyse the way she wrote and the way she worked the plots and stuff... like that fact that if the first form of transport mentioned in the book is road based, for example, a bus or a bike or a taxi then most often the killer in the end turns out to be female... whereas if it's some other form of transport, like a boat or a plane, the killer is male (I'm going off memory, but I think that's the right way around). And that her language patterns "stimulated higher than usual activity in the brain". How much of it was people making up stuff to work in with the overall theory of the program that there was some pattern behind things and how much of it was true I don't know... but like I said, it was interesting... weird, but interesting.

One last random teevee reference... on CSI: NY last night there was a storyline involving the eating of live octopuses... now I've eaten octopus before, and I actually quite enjoy it... but I've also seen a lot of wildlife documentaries about octopuses and how incredibly smart they are... and while watching CSI last night, for whatever reason the two thought processes collided in my brain... Octopus = smart and octopus = food... possibly because they had a tank with the cutest little octopuses swimming around in it... but my brain didn't react well to it, and while I wasn't exactly feeling guilty for having eaten octopus in the past, let me just say that I don't know that I'll ever be able to eat octopus ever again...

I still have no idea what the hell to do with all these video tapes... I got fed up with looking at them over the weekend, so they've ended up in my already tiny kitchen (plus they don't leave indents in the lino the way they do in the carpet), but they can't stay there, since I honestly can't do much of anything with them in my kitchen. I still have eBay high on the list of options, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the effort with the prices I've seen on there for video tapes. We'll see... I might do some more research on there first.

I also need to actually do that paperwork I got for my Superannuation... all I need to do is fill it out and send it all back and they'll roll everything into one fund... I just have to get off my butt and do it. And also get some copies of my ID notarised, authorised, deputised, whatever it is I need to do with it... but I can just do that down at the Police Station once I've done everything else.

I've just started reading The Princess Bride again (as my Currently Reading icon can attest to)... it's weird how sometimes books have really strong memories attached to them, not of the book itself but where and when you read it... the first time I read it I was working out at the mammoth Westpac call center on a temp assignment (not in the call center thank god, but revamping a whole bunch of their documentation for them)... and I was reading The Princess Bride in my lunchbreaks... and I can remember getting to a certain point in the book and getting a little bit teary eyed sitting there in the cafeteria. But then I was also convinced the first time through that all of the "non story" parts of the book were completely true and real and was totally taken in by them. What's weird is reading it through the second time knowing what I now know, I'm not sure why I believed it was all true. Doesn't make it any less of a great read though.

I get the feeling that the Universe, in it's infinite sense of everything happening for a reason might be nudging me in the general direction of the idea of painting... abstract stuff obviously, since I don't have the artistic talents to actually do something that looks like anything and be happy with it... part of it is the painting that J did for me, but I keep looking at cheap big old canvases at places like The Reject Shop... and in yesterday's Inside Story feature in the Home liftout from the Sunday Mail, the woman they profiled had done an abstract painting representing Cambodia... and while it wasn't going to win any art prizes, it was a striking image. Then while I was pondering the whole idea of painting last night during an ad break I suddenly thought that it could be interesting to actually do a painting inspired by particular bloggers I read and like... Eddy would have to have lots of yellow... Tom would feature blue... Andrew would be all about the orange...

And that's about the point that I stopped that thought process before I got too carried away... but if anything comes of it, you'll all be the first to know about it.

Current Mood: kinda middle of the road currently

3 comments:

Tom said...

Don't stop, it was just getting interesting! You should do the painting thing, sounds like a great idea.

What's behind the colour choices by the way? - blue is right for me I reckon, you only need to look at the colour of my blog for a start... but interesting choice nonetheless!

(on another similar note, do you get to see my blogger username when I comment, or does it just show Tom? The username is two colours!)

yani said...

It just comes up with your Tom-name...

Honestly there wasn't a lot of thought process behind the colour choices... you were right about yours though... the blue was from your blog... Eddy got yellow because he's Sunshine... and Andrew because he likes orange and because orange is a whole Buddhist thing...

Tom said...

Oh well, scientific enough for me!

My username for blogger is cobaltorange. I wanted cobaltblue but it was taken :(