fishy crisps

In my culinary repertoire there are three main dishes involving tuna... Tuna Thingy a la Yani, which was adapted from Ma's recipe, Toona Noodle Doo, which came off the back of a soup can label and Fishy Crisps, which was a recipe I was taught back in Home Ec in high school.

It's weird how stuff sticks in your memory... but I remember that we made it just before Easter, and when I brought the recipe home Ma and I ended up making it for Good Friday.

If I remember correctly the original recipe had cream instead of mayonnaise, but other than that it's pretty unchanged.

They're handy little parcels too... good hot or cold... perfect for picnics or a quick "grab and go" munchie attack.

I made this batch last night for dinner before the we went off to see Stormbreaker, since the movie started earlier than usual and I wanted something quick and easy to make. In addition to the twelve in the picture, I also did one "giant" one, basically just one piece of puff pastry folded over to make a long "loaf" and filled with the mix. While it wasn't great, it didn't come out half bad either.

I did make one major screw-up though... just as I as about to start putting together the last four parcels I realised I hadn't put any cheese in the mixture... d'oh... so I figured I could add a little cheese to the last four, grabbed the light mozzarella cheese (I haven't used mozzarella in these before and wanted to see how they came out with the cheese being all stringy and stuff) out of the fridge, opened it, only to discover that it had already started to go mouldy. And I only bought it on Saturday... URGH!

But, for the record, they work just as well without cheese.

Fishy Crisps

1 large can of tuna in brine
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small tin sliced champignons (or a few fresh mushrooms, sliced)
a handful of grated cheese
enough mayonnaise to combine (I use Heinz Salad Cream)
4 sheets of frozen Puff Pastry

Allow puff pastry to thaw (but don't let it dry out).

Combine all other ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly.

Cut each pastry sheet into four squares, then place approximately a tablespoon of mixture into centre of each square (be careful not to overload the square or it won't close up properly. Fold all four corners in towards the middle and upwards, to make a parcel, then pinch pastry together to seal (a little water or milk can help it stick to itself).

Cook in moderately hot oven (about 220ºC) for approx 20-25 mins.

Makes approximately 16.

Current Mood: cheerful

10 comments:

Sunshine said...

They look so good - and require so much patience. Can you send me some?? :P

yani said...

Actually not that much patience... the prep time is only about half an hour or so... and the folding isn't as fiddley as it looks... I would send you a batch, but I think they might be a little stale by the time they got there...

Tom said...

Looks good. Maybe in Web 3.0 we'll be able to taste and smell remotely!

I've been known to do something similar sans the mushrooms (yuck) but with spinach too.

Anonymous said...

hey mate thanks for recipe they were awesome had friends around for cards and i served these they loved them so thanks also me and my man would like to send you an invite for dinner one night if your interested we live near norwood take care now

email-grara34@hotmail.com

Doug said...

I will have to try them, but I have no idea what temperature to set the oven (I think my oven is in fahrenheit.) I will set it at 350 degrees. EVERYTHING cooks at 350!

yani said...

Tom: What's with you and mushrooms? Mushrooms rock...

Doug: Ditto on the oven temp thing... my oven has three settings basically... warm, hot and really freaken hot... but according to a random temperature converter I found online 220C equals about 430F...

Tom said...

Fungus. One up from mould. What more do you want to know?!

Ken said...

Sounds yummy to me. But instead of tuna (allergy) I am going to try making them the next time I have some leftover poached salmon. I will let you know how they turn out.

Funny, we throw out moldy mozzarella but pay extra for moldy Gorganzola.

Anonymous said...

Tuna Noodle Doo...LOL... it sounds like something Kartman's mother would make on South Park. Don't mean to make fun. I'm sure its perfectly yummy.

Sunshine said...

Mushrooms are the best. I can eat them all day all night. I wouldn't though because that would just be weird. :P