random painter hotness

This week's Random Hotness is partly inspired by that "painting urge" I mentioned on Monday (in that it's got a whole painting theme) but it's mostly thanks to the Artists At Work show I saw on the ABC on Tuesday night (although unfortunately I did miss about the first ten minutes).

The artist featured was Peter Churcher, who I'd never actually heard of (although I realised part way through the show that I had heard of his mother Betty Churcher who did some art appreciation shows on ABC a while back), but who's dominant theme (at least from a portrait perspective and from the work that was on the show) seems to be the male form in one variation or another. Interestingly though, unlike a lot of other modern painters who feature the male form (unless I'm missing out on a whole bunch of stuff), Peter is straight (and married with children at that).

The two paintings I'm featuring are Seated figure (on the left) and Simon standing - back view (on the right)... Seated figure was actually part of the teevee show, although it was only seen as part of the general clutter of images in the background of his studio, but out of all Churcher's work that I've seen so far, I have to say that it's definitely my favourite, there's just something so beautiful but so almost sad about it... and the Simon piece isn't far behind on my list of favourites (no pun intended). The main thing I love about his work is that the images are almost photoreal... maybe because he works from life models, I don't know... I just know that I like what I've seen.

seated figuresimon standing
Current Mood: mmmmmm hotness

3 comments:

Tom said...

Only tangentially relevant... but I am so pissed off I'm not going to be in London for a while as there is a Hockney exhibition at the NPG. I love his paintings, and whilst not really similar to the two here somehow they reminded me of his work!

Also... is your RSS feed broken? I thought you'd gone AWOL, came back to your real site, and lo and behold you've posted loads!

yani said...

This possibly won't come as a big surprise, but I'm actually more fond of Hockney's photography work than his painting/drawing stuff for the most part... in particular there were two images or a road in the desert in California somewhere that he did that were made up of like dozens of individual images... at some point I'm going to have to have a go at something like that myself...

As for the whole RSS thing... *shrug*... I have no idea whatsoever how that whole feed things works... I set it up, I pray it works, that's about where it ends. I have noticed that if I check out various sites that use RSS to say when stuff has been updated etc (ie Technorati) it's sometimes a couple days behind with most everyone... but if you haven't seen something from me within 48 hours, I'd check the site...

Tom said...

Do you mean the Pearlblossom Highway - with the road and the stop sign? I love that one too, it's the background picture on my phone. That's actually mid-80s, but I love the innocent 50s Californian feel to his paintings - The Bigger Splash for example.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/H/hockney.html#images

*shrugs back* re RSS feed. I'll just have to go back to actually visiting your site regularly. So 2004. :P