movies: over the hedge

over the hedge - taking back the neighborhood... one snack at a timeOkay, so going to see Over the Hedge during the school holidays was maybe not the best idea we've ever had...

The cinema was just full of really little kids, who just seemed to spend the whole time going back and forth to the bathroom or something...

Sheesh...

Anyway, the movie wasn't bad... I wasn't sure at the beginning... I quickly worked out that it had almost the same basic plotline as Cars, but, then I don't think it's that uncommon a plot, just dressed up differently.

And it took me a little while to bond with the humour...

But the longer I watched it, the more I got into it. The animals were appropriately cute, and the voices really fit, although, like a lot of this kind of animated stuff, I keep thinking "Okay, so that's Bruce Willis... and that's William Shatner... Allison Janney... Wanda Sykes...", but there were a few voices I couldn't pick until I got home and looked them up.

Especially Steve Carell as Hammy the squirrel (who was definitely my favourite, with Bruce's RJ a close second)... I wouldn't have picked him as that voice in a million years.

My only real complaint is that Dreamworks Animation still hasn't really mastered humans... they can do human shaped things... but really humans, especially skinny humans... just not happening yet. It was the same thing with Princess Fiona in Shrek... she just didn't look or move quite right... and Gladys, one of the villains in this, is the same... funnily enough, big fat humans work okay... they obviously mastered that with two Shrek movies, but skinny and human is still giving them trouble.

All in all though, it was pretty much fluff... cute and entertaining fluff... but fluff...

yani's rating: 2 Verminators out of 5

2 comments:

Larry said...

I have yet to see even one of the popular computer animated kids movies that have come out lately. In fact, I haven't even seen all of Toy Story if that gives you any idea. Of course, if I had a boyfriend that was open to such things I might just go (and then make out all through the movie).

:)

yani said...

Somebody is feeling a little frisky at the moment aren't they... first the naked comment yesterday... now this...

You got some wild oats that need sowing Larry? :P