thoughts on the new blogger

beta bloggerOkay, so that quick look at the new Blogger system I said I was going to have yesterday turned into about an hour and a half... but really all I did was go through and add labels to a vast number of posts (or at least the fairly obvious ones).

I looked through most of the stuff this morning, and honestly, there doesn't seem to have been that many changes to the settings and stuff like that... the majority of changes seem to be on the Edit Posts page, and in the Customize Design for the template, which I haven't explored as yet (and might not until I'm ready to put up a "new" template).

Overall I have to say I'm impressed... sure there are some things I'm not so much a fan of and stuff that may annoy me if it keeps happening, but it's early days yet, so for the moment I'll grit my teeth...

Good Stuff about Beta Blogger
  • The labels... yaaaaay labels!
  • The ability to look through ALL your previous posts on the Edit Posts page, not just the last 300 or whatever you happen to search on
  • Being able to label posts without having to open them
  • The new Dashboard, with the ability to go straight to editing Posts, Settings or the template
  • No more "Publishing" spinner... yaaaaay! And no more Republishing in general
  • Having the post being commented on mentioned in the comment email, no more having to check the html source file to find out where someone said something
  • The number of comments on each post showing up on the Edit Posts page
Bad Stuff about Beta Blogger
  • Not being able to change the way the "Labels:" label shows up (or at least not that I've found at this point)
  • You have to log in every time
  • The Edit Posts page not fitting across the width of my screen properly
  • Having to type in your own time and date instead of the drop down menus... what, I'm lazy... and especially because it works as a 24 hour clock
  • Trying to work out what label to put on all my 589 posts
  • The addition of the "by yaniboy" tag to each post on the Edit Posts page... I know who wrote all my posts thank you, and it just takes up room that could be better used elsewhere
  • The fact that Blogger keeps shifting my formatting around inside this post (spacing things out when I never asked for them to be spaced out), although that only happened after I'd added an image and may have been because suddenly there were DIV markers everywhere...
Current Mood:

5 comments:

Sunshine said...

Thanks for doing the homework for us!! :)

Sunshine said...

oh - one question - does the conversion retain your existing blog template?

yani said...

Yep... unless you go into the whole new Customize Design thing... which I'm not brave enough to look at yet... I just know it will make my template fall over...

Tom said...

*not going to press the point again about the W word* :P

This does look rather swanky though - looking forward to the next change of template so we can see the differences from a reader's perspective!

yani said...

You can continue not mentioning the W Word until the C Words come back to the H Word... :P

I'm just afraid that if I do mess with the template under the new system I'm going to end up with a whole new template again, and dammit, I just got this one the way I like it ;)

I might do something with it for January... start the year with something new...