getting a good burger

burger bedI keep meaning to write this up, but never quite get there (in fact I had a similar idea relating to hot chocolate, but that died when I realised how lackluster the hot chocolate is that most places serve)...

Quite often when we go out for work lunches a number of us (you know, the menfolk mostly) will end up getting the burger... I'm not quite sure why, it's just one of those things... sometimes one of us will branch out, but usually when it's a place we've been to a few times.

So I figured I'd rate some of the ones I've had in the last couple of months.

Oh, and a quick side note, is there some rule that says restaurants have to have incredibly shitty websites? What the hell is up with that?

The Saracens
82 Carrington Street
ADELAIDE

Ultimate Wagyu Beef Burger: Two Australian Kobe Wagyu patties, bacon, egg, grilled pineapple, beetroot, tomato, lettuce, cheese & tomato sauce served on a sour dough roll with chips

This used to be the burger by which all others were judged... and then they changed it. The two beef patties are just too much, the last time we were there I ended up taking one of them out half way through so that I could finish the burger. It doesn't tend to be too drippy though, which is always a bonus... and there was a nice mix of ingredients.

File this one under: Too much of a good thing!

Crown & Sceptre
308 King William Street
ADELAIDE

100% Wagyu Beef Burger with prosciutto, green apple slaw, onion relish, Swiss cheese, cos, tomato & beer battered fries

We were all a little dubious about the "green apple slaw", and then the burger turned up as an "open" kind of arrangement and proved incredibly messy to eat. The "slaw" was nice enough, but I don't think it had any business being on a burger.

File this one under: For goodness sake, hold the slaw!

The Office
110 Pirie Street
ADELAIDE

The Office Burger: Housemade beef patty topped with chutney, cheddar cheese, bacon, caramelised onion, tomato, mixed lettuce, served with chips & onion rings

I appreciated the onion rings with this one, even if there weren't that many of them, it's not often you get onion rings with a burger. The downside? The burger itself seemed tiny compared to what I'm used to from a lunchtime burger and it was kind of one of those "now what" feelings once I'd finished it. A little underwhelming overall.

File this one under: Where's the main course?

Ambassadors Hotel
107 King William Street
ADELAIDE

Cajun chicken burger with vintage cheddar, bacon, onion jam, roasted capsicum, aioli and beer battered chips

I decided that I wasn't in the mood for beef this particular day, so opted for the "Cajun" chicken. I put it in quotes because some black stripes and a little bit of spice do not a "Cajun" experience make! However, the chicken was nice and moist, and while I could have done without the roasted capsicum, it was a good overall solid effort.

File this one under: Next time I'll try the beef!

So there it is... four quick burger reviews! To be continued... maybe...

Current Mood:

No comments: