fringe: street dreams dumpster biennale

street dreams dumpster biennaleI so very much fail at having willpower...

I promised myself that I wasn't going to buy a dumpster at the Street Dreams Dumpster Biennale this year (by the way, I absolutely adore that poster... must try and get a copy)... especially since I really have nowhere to put one... and, well...

Anyway... after we snagged a carpark up near the theatre, we wandered down to the Magazine Gallery in Clubhouse Lane, but took a detour via Format Gallery, just to see how the new mural is progressing.

To my surprise, it wasn't that bad... I don't know how finished it is (not very, I would imagine since the lost the whole of yesterday due to the rain), but it looks kinda interesting. Sure it's not the Toy Soldier Crew... but interesting...

While we were waiting around for the gallery to open I was taking photos of a few stickers and pasteups in the laneway and this older dude who was cutting through the lane on his way from the carpark stopped and asked me if I liked "that kind of thing".

Now, normally you don't stop and talk to people in Hindley Street, especially when they're missing a tooth and look a bit shady.

Turns out though that his daughter is a street artist (or an artist at any rate) and he was on his way to meet her at an exhibition... turns out it was the Dumpster Biennale! Small world and all that... even smaller that I was already aware of his daughter's work! Bless you internet!

the rare albino dumpster in it's natural habitatIt was definitely a bigger exhibition this year... more dumpsters, a bigger venue, other artwork (including Mr Sloppy!)... however because we only had a limited amount of time and not as many of the dumpsters spoke to me this year compared with last year, my photos are a little on the slim side... and by which I mean pitiful... I might try and swing past again when there are slightly less people around and snap some more pics.

It was also great to see Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood there!

While less of the dumpsters really grabbed my attention (and at least three of them... including, surprisingly enough, Benzo's... were "left overs" from last year), what I was instantly grabbed by was Gary Seaman's contribution.

gary seaman's dumpster with munny... it's mine now... or will be later in the weekI've said on more than one occasion that I want to own one of Gary's pieces... and now I do! C'mon, how could I resist that...

What with the cut-up dumpster and the Munny and the key and the staff... while I've loved other pieces, I think this one was supposed to be mine. My only problem now is somewhere to store it.

I'll figure something out... even if the dumpster itself has to go into storage...

The gallery started getting very busy once the Street Art Walk wrapped up, but we had to head off to Macbeth anyway... but it was definitely worth a look... if only to see the clear perspex dumpster with the two goldfish inside it.

Current Mood:

No comments: