very very broken

things that are brokenAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay, I feel a little better now... call me paranoid, but it seems like the Universe in it's finite wisdom has decided that I need to pay for my trip to Sydney before I leave...

So today it made the sky fall in.

It's lucky that I was out on my walk... it's lucky that nothing caught on fire or shortcircuited or blew up... it's lucky that nobody was hurt and only two things were actually damaged... but goddammit!

When I came back from my walk I walked into the bedroom and discovered that the (fairly sizable) Fred With Tires print I have hanging on the wall over my bed had fallen clean off the wall (the hook snapped in two), pretty much demolishing the powerpoint underneath it, and was just generally both bad and wrong.

Needless to say I was a little freaked out... I still am a little bit, but mostly now I'm pissed off. Stupid hook, stupid picture, stupid powerpoint, stupid landlord, stupid stupid.

Added to which, my computer, alarm clock, bedside lamp, external hard drive and computer speakers all plug into that powerpoint (okay, technically they all plug into a powerboard that plugs into that powerpoint, but you get the idea)... so at present everything is running off an extension cord out of the bathroom.

It could have been worse of course... I could have been in bed at the time (although I don't usually sleep with my head or the pillows flat up against that wall, and none of the glass seems to have made it into or onto the bed for the most part)... but with only five days and change left until we head away, it couldn't have come at a worse time really. Okay, it might have been marginally worse to come home from Sydney and discover the whole mess then, but at least I wouldn't have to try and deal with it before I leave.

And because my landlord is a complete tossbag, I have to decide whether or not to bother trying to get him to fix it for me, or if I should just call an electrician myself, and possibly just get it over and done with and fixed before I go instead of waiting the three weeks or whatever that he'll make me wait if I take it to him.

I also need to remember NOT to unplug that powerpoint, no matter what... I already did that once this morning... I was going to rearrange it slightly, but then suddenly the computer shut off, and I realised that I can't fiddle... grrrrrrr...

If I had to find some sort of silver lining in this it would be a very, very tiny one (not so much a lining as a speck), and it was kinda interesting to discover that underneath the powerpoint cover was a tiny scrap of wallpaper... so it looks like originally the bedroom was papered with slightly odd looking wallpaper.

It was also slightly weird that last night I was waking up pretty much on an hourly (or maybe two hourly) basis... as though part of me knew it was going to happen and kept waking me up, just in case. Granted it could just have easily been because it was hot and stuffy last night...

But if you'll excuse me, I think I'm gunna go and sulk now...

Current Mood:

2 comments:

Tom said...

That's pretty scary, poor you - at least you weren't in bed!

If it were me I'd ring the landlord but tell him I would arrange the electrician thanks very much and I'll be deducting the cost from next month's rent. The sooner the better too - running everything from the bathroom doesn't sound very safe either!

Anonymous said...

It's better that it happened now then when you were on tour in Sydney. Before you leave unplug the one running from the bathroom and... have a great time together with your Mum.