my tchotchka template

my tchotchka 2005I've decided that I'm probably going to change my blog template about once a month, for no other reason than I can, plus I get bored easily...

I own a LOT of tchotchka (chatchka)... and for an athiest Anglo-Saxon white boy, know far too much Yiddish... its a faygala thing...

Anyway... tchotchka... have lots... and I was looking at it all, specifically the stuff I see most often on top of the bookcase next to my bedroom door and thought to myself "If that was all actually dusted, that could make a good photo for a blog template"... so, dust I did. I never dust... well, almost never... so it all looked pretty spiffy when I was done.

I took a couple of shots that afternoon, but the light was crappy, so I took a bunch more the day after... and of course, I ended up using one of the first ones that I took.

So, I present... yani.tchotchka

I might get all inspired to go along the whole image I used and point out things of interest, but I'll start with the small square version that comes along with this post...

Bird feather (top left): All the way from America via my (insert any number of different relationship modifier titles here) Bob's mother... Hmmm... Bob may need a post all of his own in the not to distant future...

Pewter Rose (bottom foreground): That's another Bob-Related-Item... he bought it for me when he was here in 1999.

Anubis Statue (center): Egyptian Lord of the Dead... I bought him about a month ago, the last time I was working in town.

Pottery Goblet (left): Back when I was sharing an apartment, me, my housemate and his girlfriend (also my best girly friend at the time) went for a drive up in the Adelaide Hills, and ended up in, I think, Hahndorf, and went to this cute little local craft market thing, where I found and fell in love with this goblet, and bought it. When we got home, I was the last one through the door, which was a very heavy, very solid, metal door, and it was swinging shut, so I put up my hand to stop it... with the tissue-wrapped goblet in it... and *crunch*... goblet bowl shattered... We went back the following weekend and bought the one you see here.

Photography Trophy (behind Anubis): South Australia Photographic Federation Annual Exhibition 2004 - Top Monochrome Portrait Print... it's a pissy little trophy, but I won it the first year I entered the SAPF Annual Exhibition, so I'm pretty proud of that.

Horus Statue (bottom left): I got this statue or Horus, god of the Sky/Sun in Melbourne back in April.

Pocket Dragons (foreground and in chair): I love these little guys... I first discovered Pocket Dragons when I used to buy these cool greeting cards with them on back when I was still in high school... I don't remember where or when we first discovered they had been made into little figurines, but Mum and I have been buying them ever since. You want to win me over really easily? Buy me a Pocket Dragon I don't have!

Have you noticed I have a thing for dragons?

Current Mood: creative and nostalgic

1 comment:

ghostlight said...

Looks great Yani. I love it!! I'm probably going to want to change my template soon, might be asking for hints since you seem to be so good at it. Especially with placing pictures. Keep up the great work.