labyrinth of the faun

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

innocence has a power evil cannot imagineContinuing the theme from yesterday of "movies we should have gone to see while they were out on the big screen" comes the other movie I grabbed at the video shop last night, Pan's Labyrinth (aka The Labyrinth of the Faun).

From the few bits and pieces I read about it I thought it might have been too violent to go to with Ma, so we never went. Sadly, it's not really THAT violent or THAT "horror"... granted I have a slightly skewed vision of these things, but I think Ma might have been alright with it.

I'm fond of Guillermo del Toro's stuff... Hellboy, Blade II... well actually that's it... although I think I saw Cronos once upon a time, but I didn't know anything about the director back then.

But he has this dark fantasy bent that really appeals to me.

Add to that Doug Jones who I loved as Abe Sapien in Hellboy and you've hit a bunch of my favourite buttons.

I will admit that I kind of went back and forth on the whole Spanish Civil War plotline... I can see why he used it, but there were times when I was thinking "yeah, yeah, get back to the fantasy plot". I also know that a lot of the symbolism that Guillermo talks about in the special features on the second disc were lost on me, but then I guess they're supposed to be the first time you see the movie... it's nice to know it's there though.

It's possibly a little heavy going in a few spots (mostly the stuff set in the real world), but all in all not bad.

yani's rating: 8 fauns out of 10

3 comments:

Bri Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:10:00 pm  

I was lucky enough to see it in the cinema .. one of the best films I have seen this year, totally captivating.
A little violent in parts, but the story would not be the same without it.

Bri

Alexander Monday, September 03, 2007 12:20:00 pm  

And now the other side of the coin...I saw it in the theater and found it so incredibly awful (I remember blogging about it at the time) I almost asked for my money back. One of the WORST films I've seen in the past year.

yaniboy Monday, September 03, 2007 4:41:00 pm  

Okay, that's interesting Alex... now I have to go and find your post about it to find out WHY you thought it was so awful...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

search yaniblog

Loading...


On The Road template - Ourblogtemplates.com