camera club beach shoot

sunset at brighton beach 2006Today marked the start of the 2006 Camera Club season... okay, that's a big fat lie.... technically it started last week, but that was a boring workshop thing that I didn't want to go to...

This week was our annual beach/swimwear shoot, which is usually worth going to... the past two years it was anyway... I shot about 110 shots each time, and each 110 shots was of the same male model (not the same one both times though).

This year I only took a single roll of 36 shots, split between the two (passable, but not great) male models, but I also took my digital camera along and after I was done with the film roll, I took about 60 digital shots... mostly of the sunset and some of random guys wandering along the beach (or perving on the female models we had with us).

We went to a different beach too this year, Brighton instead of Semaphore... not sure it was worth driving the extra distance to be honest... yeah, the jetty has that interesting tower thingy on it, and there were rocks, instead of the random dunes at Semaphore... okay, maybe it was worth it. The clouds didn't give us a decent sunset though, which was disappointing.

camera club seagulls 2006This shot gives you a good indication about a) the less obvious reason I only shoot the male models, and b) what it's like on a Camera Club photoshoot... 20,000 photographers (what... we all know I exaggerate), all trying to get a shot of the same (female) model or models. We always kind of compare it to a flock of seagulls... you throw one seagull one piece of food and suddenly every seagull in a 200km radius shows up... just substitute "Camera Club photographer" for "seagull" and "model" for "piece of food"...

And while that's happening, a lot of times the male models have just been standing around twiddling their fingers.

Poor male models...

I'll post some shots of the two guys that were there when I get the shots back from the lab.... depends on whether they're worth sharing or not... I was shooting with my new polariser on, so god only knows how the shots are going to come out...

It was nice to see everyone again... well, except the people who annoy me... but I ignore them for the most part, so it's all good. Basically it was nice to see the handful of people who I actually like... and what was REALLY nice was that my main Camera Club buddy, Stu, was back... yaaaaaaay! After we finally lost all the light, he and I wandered down the jetty so he could take some shots of the tower thing all lit up, and I just went along, mostly because I haven't seen him in about seven months. And then we went for coffee afterwards, a real coffee, rather than to Cafe Primo where everyone else went for substandard coffee.

Current Mood: pleased but sleepy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the beach shot .....

I certainly remember Henley Beach; Grange and its victorian 3 story town houses; as well as Semaphore, Glenelg and Moana beaches. But the waves at Formby Bay on the Yorke Peninsula and Coffin Bay are where my memories are best.

Surfing makes me horny,
marcus