camera club annual exhibition

annual exhibition entriesFinally tonight was the Camera Club Annual Exhibition... the last club meeting for the year, and a place to showcase all of your best work from the year.

At least that's the theory...

I think I was spoiled my first year in the club, taking out both the Top Monochrome Print, and the Top Classic Portrait. Yeah, I know, I've mentioned it a few times before, but hey... it was a pretty good accomplishment my first year (not even that... just over six months) in the club.

So it kind of raises the expectation in my brain that I should get good scores and maybe win something here or there...

Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works...

Because it is the final meeting for the year, as well as the Annual Exhibition, most people bring family, loved ones, whatever... so I've always invited Ma along... and we usually go and do dinner first. We went the new and improved Beyond India in North Adelaide, and that may have to have it's own post later, because it was fantastic...

Anyway, back to Camera Club...

entry image mapI entered 19 images (mostly stuff that had either gotten an 8, 9 or 10, but a couple of the lower scoring images that I just really like snuck their way in too), and only got a couple of Highly Commendeds... (and to make it easier, I made this pretty coloured graphic so it's easier to identify the categories... I'm both so helpful and so anal *grin*)

Mono Prints Pictorial (Pink) Craig in Sepia (top left) scored 18, Stretch (top right) scored 21, Feet (bottom left) scored 16, Harness (bottom right) scored 22

Mono Prints Portrait (Green): Golden (top left) scored 20, Modern Classic (top right) scored 24, Shy Boy (bottom left) scored 22, Blue (bottom right) scored 20

Colour Prints Portrait (Blue): Dryad (top left) scored 22, Sam (top right) scored 20, Cornfield (bottom center) scored 17

Colour Prints Nature (Purple): Pelican (top left) scored 24, Dinnertime (top right) scored 21, Shadowed Gumleaf (bottom left) scored 17, On the Prowl (bottom right) scored 20

Colour Prints Pictorial (Orange): Sand Abstract (top), Gothic Arch (center), Parliament Door, Melbourne (bottom right), Red Door (bottom)

Unlike a normal competition, there are three judges and each gives the image a score out of 10, giving you the combined score out of 30. Not surprisingly, my two images with 24 were the Highly Commended images... Pelican (purple, top left) and Modern Classic (green, top right).

So all in all, not a fantastic result... no Merits (27 and over) and no trophys... ah well, such is life...

We also got the program for next year... talk about lackluster... there are some very dull sounding Set Subjects for competitions... looks like it's going to be another year of just entering the Open section.

After all the trophys and certificates and whatnot were handed out, Ma and I and Mikey and his wife headed out for coffee where Mikey and I proceeded to totally rip the program to shreds and slag large chunks of it off, which always makes us feel better.

And now we're all done...

I really need to get my tail into gear over the break and find some new models and do some shoots, if only so I have some new and fresh stuff to enter next year. I still have a bunch of images I haven't entered, but I'd like some new stuff to balance them out... we'll have to see...

Current Mood: sleepy now

2 comments:

ghostlight said...

Well from what you've told us in previous posts, I've come to believe the Judges wouldn't know a good picture if it came up, introduced itself, then bit them in the arse. You're a great photographer Yani, and I shall always look forward to your photography posts.

yani said...

Thanks... both of you!

Now if only I could get the judges to love my work more... hehehe...