heatwave

"Adelaide has been officially declared to have had a heatwave this week. Today is the fourth consecutive day the temperature has been above 40 degrees Celsius. The last time that happened was in 1940.

The weather bureau in South Australia says it is a heatwave if the temperature is at or above 40 degrees for three days in a row or if it is at or above 35 degrees for five days in a row."


Yep... we officially had a heatwave...

Urgh...

Although the "cool change" has come in... it's still very humid (around 54.6% according to my little weather man), but the temperature HAS dropped to around 28°C (82°F) and hopefully it should rain either tonight or tomorrow morning which should help.

I didn't sleep terribly well last night... the fan was only moving around hot air and after managing a couple of hours early on, I woke up every hour, pretty much on the hour from 1am onwards. So it came as no surprise to find out that the lowest temperature it got to last night was 35°C (95°F).

When it gets this hot for this long it just seaps into everything... every single surface in my house was radiating heat... the teevee remotes, the kitchen bench, the doorframes, my book... everything... my hair wax is almost a liquid... my clothes felt like they've just been ironed when I put them on... even my shampoo and conditioner are hotter than my body temperature...

Thankfully I wasn't one of the thousands of homes who haven't had any electricity (some for up to 18 hours on Friday) during the last four days... I don't know quite what I would have done if it had, today especially... packed up all my perishable food and gone to Ma's I guess...

I swear, if it hadn't been for the fact that I knew there was a cool change coming this afternoon, I would most likely have gone stark raving bonkers today.

None of this was helped by the fact that the stoopid new people keep telling us that while we're sweltering, Russia is around -30°C (-22°C)... oh to be that cold... Okay, I could be talking out the top of my head, having never BEEN that cold... but it's a nice thought... kind of like wanting to sleep inside the huge freezers at the supermarket...

I had a minor moment of panic this afternoon when I realised I could smell and see smoke outside the house. I went outside to see if I could see anything, and I realised that the smoke didn't seem to be coming from anywhere that I could see, it was just everywhere. On the evening news I found out that it was a bushfire that has burnt 20,000 hectares of forest on Kangaroo Island... which isn't really THAT surprising, keeping in mind that it's only 112 km (62 miles) southwest of Adelaide...

*sigh*

I miss winter...

Current Mood: still hot, but improving

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

I miss winter too!!! I hate summers. Hope it has cooled down for you. Sounds dreadful. :(