hottest 100

triple j hottest 100As I keep hearing every morning on my walk, it's that time again for the Triple J Hottest 100...

Since it began in 1988, the Hottest 100 has become an Australian cultural institution. It reflects back to the nation exactly which songs captured the enthusiasm of music lovers in the past year. We got over 470,000 online votes in January 2005.

I actually haven't voted in a Hottest 100 for several years, not since 1998, but I do own the 1996, 1997 and 1998 Hottest 100 CDs... but I figured, since I'm listening to the J's again, I may as well have a crack...

I always get stuck trying to work out what to vote for though (partly because I never remember song titles and partly because Triple J plays lots of stuff you never hear anywhere else), and this year is slightly more complicated, since you are allowed to choose 10 songs, rather than just one as in previous years. There was really only one given, and that was Middle Of The Hill by Josh Pyke... for obvious reasons! In the end I just sat here and went through the alphabetical song list one letter at a time, and in the end came up with my selection for the Hottest 100...

Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo - Bloodhound Gang
Gold Digger - Kanye West
Hoodie - Lady Sovereign
I'm A Rabbit I'm A Fox - Laura Jean
Middle Of The Hill - Josh Pyke
Shot You Down - Audio Bullys
The Car Song - Cat Empire
Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix) - Prodigy

Now all I have to do is wait for Australia Day to find out what the top songs are...

Current Mood: singing along

5 comments:

The Other Andrew said...

I'm boycotting. Stupid list has only one Roisin Murphy song to choose from ("Ruby Blue"), what no "If We're In Love", no "Sow In To"? Gah!

yani said...

If only I knew who Roisin Murphy was...

Maybe he/she/they only brought out one song in 2005... or maybe only that song got airplay on the J's... I dunno...

The Other Andrew said...

Yaniboy, Roisin Murphy was the lead singer of Moloko and has now gone solo. Her CD "Ruby Blue" is amazing and has been a critical success (for example Rich over at the blog FourFour gave it his #1 album of the year and one of her video clips made it into the recent list of Top 50 clips of the year). She's released 3 singles off the album already. Have a listen if you're in a music store, her sound is quite unique and the production on the album is lush.

yani said...

Ahhhhh... Moloko rings a bell now...

You know that you can add extra songs that aren't on the list right?

The Other Andrew said...

No I didn't, I just scrolled down to see if she made the cut and then stomped off. :-) I think my taste is a little more pop orientated...