i really suck at flirting

take hold of your ballsI really suck at flirting...

Actually, that's not entirely true... but to borrow from the world of car sales, while I can get guys to kick the tyres from time to time, very few actually want to take the car out for a test drive.

There's two scenarios where this occurs, which are actually very different from each other, but both come out to the same result, even if they get there down alternate paths. And part of that is because I do the compartmentalisation thing... these people see this yani... those people see that yani... etc. And heaven forbid that somebody wants to move from Group A to Group B.

But addressing the compartments, the first is social media/general online flirting... which in a way is probably where I'm the best at flirting... because that's purely me... internal me... me without the handicap of what someone may or may not think of the physical wrapper. And often it's more organic... the flirting just comes from whatever interaction is going on, although that doesn't mean that I don't still screw it up from time to time... but it's definitely less often.

But it's also a trap, because if they like internal me, they want to meet external me... and normally that's been when the wheels fall off the bus. Because, let's face it, I'm an acquired taste and people usually invent what they think you look like if they don't have clues... I've done it... and usually you're way off the reality.

So I've happily had online conversations with guys where they fully flirted back, only to have them vanish without a trace later. I try to avoid it wherever possible... either people get wedged into the "friend, flirting lite" category and get "online yani" or they land in "potential scruffage" and get "yani with pictures".

And when it comes to "yani with pictures", I don't always get that one right either... too fast, too impatient, too direct. But I've had to deal with too much time wasting... and I'd much rather be able to put a check in the "not interested" column and move on.

So, in essence... I really suck at flirting...

Current Mood:

5 comments:

Tom said...

Ha. You're pretty good at the old online flirting over Twitter. Don't think I haven't noticed you and Mr Peteski! Go for it. He seems like a nice guy, you're a nice guy...

And whilst I'm at it, there's no need to be uncomfortable in your wrapper... though I've only met you for an hour over a beer and couldn't get much of a word in edgeways because of the general garrulousness, the packaging and the product looked OK to me! ;)

Sunshine said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. I think you'd find most people feel the same way about themselves.

*Look up at Tom*

...and the two of you, isn't it about time? Geez...

*eye roll*

Tom said...

Well yes you would have to look up to me Sunshine, LOL. But only 3 feet. ;)

Anyway, sorry, my original comment wasn't trying to come on to Mr Yani, just trying to offer a compliment and a confidence boost. But yes I agree, most people feel the same way about themselves. :P

The Mutant said...

OMG - I like totes suck at flirting too!

But unlike you I suck at the online and the offline and I suck at pictures and well, I generally suck in general.

And in case you were wondering... yeah, I suck whenever I get the chance, just to dirty things up a bit.

yani said...

Tom: Obviously Mr Peteski is the originating thought that triggered this post... :P And thank you, although my past experience would prove you wrong ;)

Sunshine: Me flirting with Tom is SO 2008 :P

Mutant: You don't give yourself anywhere near enough credit... I think you problem is your attention span ;)