mother's day shopping

oh goody more things for the kitchenActually, that's a lie... Mother's Day is tomorrow, plus I did whatever shopping I needed to do well before today. But even though Ma doesn't really "do" Mother's Day, we had a very nice day out.

I was a little bit dopey first thing... I didn't get to bed until late and only woke up when Ma sent me a text message to let me know she was on her way down... and I wasn't quite firing on all cylinders by the time she got here. Thank goodness for Strong Iced Coffee (although I didn't actually have that until we got back).

Supermarket Safari went off about the same as usual, although you would think that they would have more staff working the registers first thing on a Saturday morning (I'm sure I've whinged about this before though)... but sometimes I think that's just because the staff never show up after a big Friday night...

Anyway, once all the highly uninteresting shopping was done with (as well as the Ritual Unpacking and Consumption of Iced Coffee Products) we headed off into town with no real agenda in mind.

Mostly we just wandered about really, looking here, looking there... and I will say that it's both kind of cool and slightly disturbing when your mother thrusts a book called "Tales of Travelrotica For Gay Men" at you after she finds it in the $5 bargain bin. Of course I then proceeded to buy it...

Eventually when we reached that "need something to drink" stage of the day, we decided to throw our existing purchases in the car and take out a further four hours of parking for the astronomical fee of 20c (and by we, I mean that Ma stayed where she was and I wandered down the hill and did all of that)... okay, I think that sentence got away from me somewhere along the way... anyway, we decided to go and do a whole "Mother's Day lunch" (which is always better and cheaper to do the day before the actual day) at Saldechin, which we've been to once before and it's also where The Nut House went for our Christmas lunch thing.

It was a good choice actually... very pretty and attentive and helpful (and possibly just that little bit gay) waiting staff, the same tasty lunch deal they had at Christmas, and a nice pot of tasty tea. Then, after wandering back past Haighs (which is just deadly) we pretty much called it a day.

So a somewhat low-key day... but a good one...

Oh, and for the record, including the whole Yum Cha lunch thing, I got her Singing in the Rain, Graham Base's "Sign of the Seahorse" (hey, it's a seahorse thing again, what can I say) and another Kimmidoll magnet...

Current Mood:

No comments: