very confusing day

this is about as thrilled as i was earlier todayColour me annoyed, disappointed, angry, pleased, sad, confused distracted and hopeful...

As I've said to various real life people recently (I thought I'd said it in a recent post, but perhaps not... although I did make a "falling in a heap" reference) that I'm not looking forward to this contract coming to an end.

And while, academically I know that the contract is due to end "at the end of June", I don't think that I was really aware that that's only a couple of weeks away... and today I kind of came face to face with that whole concept in a very unexpected and unpleasant way.

I got an email from the Boss (or Ginger Ninja as she is also known), saying that because of the way the end of financial year accounting works, they have to have all the accounts submitted by this coming Thursday... which didn't bode well for me, particularly since there doesn't seem to be any money in next year's budget for me to stick around (I think if there had been, then there wouldn't have been any kind of problem at all).

So for a little while it actually looked as though my last day was going to be this Thursday... so, you know, shock!

It goes without saying that I wasn't happy about the whole situation... I'm not actually looking forward to going back to my "life"... I don't particularly like my "life" anymore... I've been there, I've done that, I've seen the movie, I read the book, I bought the damn teeshirt, I'm over it... so I pretty much hit the wall (not actually... you know, the metaphorical wall in my head) when I heard the news. I couldn't really concentrate on anything, was having a large amount of trouble actually focusing on the stuff I was supposed to be reading, and ended up taking myself off to lunch just to get out of there for a while.

But as the day progressed, things got slightly better. Turns out that Ginger Ninja, in true ninja fashion, has essentially pulled out all the proverbial, back door, down-low, sneaky, clandestine moves she possibly could and we're going to indulge in a wee bit of "creative time sheet manipulation" (with the full backing of my Agency Girly fortunately) so that the agency can provide Le Ninja with an account on Thursday that will actually cover my hours until next Friday...

Don't even ask how we managed it... it did take me throwing the whole problem into Excel eventually and working out all the normal, time and a half and double time hours so that it all came out to be the right number of hours I would have worked over the next two weeks anyway.

That does mean that if something spectacularly bad happens between now and then, I'll end up owing them some hours, but that shouldn't happen. Touching wood, crossing fingers and not tempting fate... but yeah, it should be fine.

And of course because the Universe likes to mess with me, all this happens on the very same day that this incredibly HOT techy boy with a perfect Y shaped body wearing a fitted business shirt (that hugged his chest and his slim torso and kicked out just a little bit on his hips every time he bent over to do anything) and jeans was installing new computers at a desk that just happens to be pretty much in my direct line of sight. VERY distracting... pleasing... but distracting.

Current Mood:

6 comments:

Tom said...

...that the agency can provide Le Ninja with an account on Thursday that will actually cover my hours until next Friday...

Hmmm... Ask the ninja and the agency girly if they've heard of an accrual. Cash/Invoices are irrelevant - a contract for your services until the end of the month would have done the trick whether they paid the agency now or in three months time!

Bored yet? :P

yani said...

Yeah, I'm sure it works like that in the real world... but I'm working for the government remember ... they have their own rules that don't need to make any sense :)

Tom said...

Nope, same rules, the government departments are just lazy in their interpretation of them! :P

yani said...

And it's always very difficult to get them to do anything in any way other than the way they want to do it and/or have always done it...

Plus, do I really care, so long as I get paid :P

yani said...

For the record, there was a reason why it couldn't be an accrual... something about the fact that it was never written up as a porject plan, and the money hadn't been released from somewhere else, so essentially I was just existing from week to week...

Still waiting to hear back if all the Secret Squirrelness worked though...

Tom said...

Ah, fair enough - those famous governmental "cash in brown envelope" contracts! :)