photo friday: sunset

sunset 2006sunset 2006sunset 2006sunset 2006These were all a spur of the moment capture two days before New Years. I went to take down the sheet I use to block out the afternoon sun from my bedroom, and realised that the sky was the most intense orange colour. I took a couple of shots through the window, and then decided to grab some shoes and toddle off down the road to take a few more shots... which all worked out quite well... very intense and very orange. I do have to say though that the colour was made all the more intense because I used the "Sunset" setting on my camera.

I used the sheet because the actual curtains in my bedroom window were probably original 60's issue when the apartments were built and were basically falling apart and useless... partly because they were just that old (or if not that old, then they've at least been here for the ten years I've lived here), but also because they were two pieces of fabric, one rather flimsy backing piece and a kind of crocheted front piece... and the backing fabric had been aged to death by the sun and just tore like paper... in fact probably worse than paper... and they didn't do much of a job at keeping out the sun. Plus I only really use them in the afternoon for the sunlight hitting my bedroom... once the sun has gone down I tend to open them up again.

But after my trip to the dentist and during my Firefly marathon on Wednesday I got inspired (although I will admit that I'd had the thought at an earlier point) and I dug out the dropcloth I've been using while painting, which is actually a piece of kinda ugly but thermal lined curtain fabric that I picked up cheap at Spotlight (because of it's lack of attractiveness I would imagine)... it's also very, very long and very very wide... probably about the right width for the windows in my bedroom but miles too long (the windows take up almost the entire 3m length of the room, but are only about 50cm tall), so I took out my trusty scissors and made up two slightly uneven (with the exception of the top edge I don't think there's a straight line on them) but functional curtains... took down the old ones, threaded the hooks into the new fabric, hung them up... they worked like a dream... so now I have kinda ugly green mottled curtains in my bedroom...

We won't mention the fact that I've actually had this fabric for at least two years and this is the first time really that this plan occurred me to...

Current Mood: