tom's chicken curry

tom's chicken curry 2006I mentioned in my Musings post today that I was going to attempt to make Tom's Chicken Curry... I'm always up for new and reasonably easy ways to make things involving the words curry and chicken, so I knew I had to try this one...

The photo isn't one of my better food photos... this is actually what was left over after I'd fed J, Monkey and me... and it had been sitting on the counter top while we ate before being scooped out into this smaller container. There should be enough left for Ma and I tomorrow though.

Like I mentioned in the comments on Tom's blog, next time I'll be using diced tomatoes rather than the whole kind... and cutting the chicken into much smaller pieces... I had great massive hunks of chicken, that although they were all really really tender, were perhaps a little on the unwieldy side.

I also maybe need to think about getting some sherry to appropriately deglaze the pan... I did it with the chicken stock, and it worked pretty well, but it might have worked a little better with booze of some description.

The downside was that all that frying of chicken and other things not only really warmed up my apartment (yaaaay) but also made a lot of smoke (booo)... so much so that my smoke detector went off and we ended up opening the door for a little bit to let it all out.

The other downside was that it took longer to prepare than I expected, and then it has to cook for 90 minutes, so we didn't end up eating until about 8pm... next time though, I know I need to start it earlier.

And I also need to get one of those cast iron casserole dishes you can put on the burners and then stick in the oven, since I kind of skipped that step in Tom's instructions. I'd love to get one of the Le Creuset ones... but they cost an arm and both legs.

But it'd definitely something I'll be making again! Thanks Tom!

Current Mood: yaay... new dish in my repertoire

6 comments:

Sunshine said...

That looks so yummy but I just don't have the patience to cook during the week. :)

onegayboy said...

looks real funky. it must taste delicious!

skander said...

go the Le Creuset Yani!

yani said...

Sunshine: It's definitely either a weekend or day-off kind of meal, if only from the amount of time it takes...

Skander: Luckily thanks to Monkey I don't need to now... I have an appropriate pan... true, it's not Le Creuset, but then I was never going to be getting that anyway.

Tom said...

Glad it worked out OK and I didn't miss out anything too major! :)

Sunshine said...

I'm gonna try it for dinner with Sam tomorrow night. :)