coffee with heckle and jeckle

heckle and jeckleWell that was both odd and a total waste of time...

I had another "quasi-date" tonight (although with a completely different guy than last time)... just coffee... I'm not completely sure why I bother to be honest... but I guess it beats the alternative.

Anyway, we arranged to meet at one of the cafes in O'Connell Street at 7... I headed down there, and as I approached one of the corners I saw a guy who looked very much like my "date", Heckle... but he was walking with someone... so I figured it couldn't possibly be him... so I kept walking and headed down to the cafe.

And lo and behold, while I was talking to the cute twinkie waiter, in walks the guy I'd seen crossing the street... and it was Heckle, and he wasn't alone... he'd brought Jeckle with him... allegedly they'd "run into each other", but were both going to the same place later on in the evening...

I mean, c'mon... I didn't come down in the last shower... ran into each other my ass... who brings a safety net to a first coffee meeting...

And Jeckle couldn't have been less of the kind of person I would want to meet, let alone spend time with or be seen associating... urgh...

The pair of them actually... bitter, jaded queens... I don't do negative people... I just don't... and I could feel it coming off them in waves... I'm sure a body language expert would have had a field day with my posture at the table... I spent the whole time leaning back in my seat, pulling as far back from the pair of them as humanly possible and fiddling first with the spoon from my coffee, and then after the waitress took it away, rubbing my thumb along the wood seams in the table. I so did not want to be there.

To be honest my first reaction when Heckle came in with Jeckle was just to walk out... it was the strongest impulse... but I didn't... I stayed... and that's a pointless hour and a quarter out of my life that I'm not getting back...

Actually it probably a good thing it happened that way... Heckle on his own didn't seem all that bad... and I might have been interested enough to maybe see him again... but if Jeckle reflects the quality of his friends... forget it, no thank you and good night.

Urgh...

Current Mood: no thanks

6 comments:

Sunshine said...

Sorry that the date didn't go well. At least it was kinda funny. I actually don't mind the "expect a surprise" in dates. :)

Larry said...

And here I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm not dating :)

Someday your prince will come... or at least be observant enough to know you're not impressed!

S said...

A safety net for a coffee "date" is just wrong... and tacky.

But, on the plus side, for the price of a cup o' joe, you know you won't be "running into him" in the future.

Kerri said...

Lots of people bring a chaperone to a date if its a blind date, but theres usually a five minute rule. If I don't look freaked out after 5 mins, its ok to excuse yourself haha! (Sunshine has chaperoned me on a few dates)

Youre a brilliant writer, I could imagine the whole drama happening as if before my eyes. I love your photography too.

xK

skander said...

Now, just where did you come crossd this man Yani?

yani said...

Sunshine: Surprises I can deal with... tag along friend, not so much...

Larry: My prince got lost, I swear... or else fell victim to that whole Sleeping Beauty thing...

Steven: And on the plus side, he paid for my coffee... :P

Kerri: Thank you ma'am... as for the whole chaperone thing... it's one coffee in a public place... I can full understand the SMS-Safety-Net (ie, text me ten minutes after I'm supposed to meet this person and if I need to I'll use it to get out of the date)... but it was just tacky...

Skander: Online... where else... he sounded okay when we chatted on MSN...