getting adjusted

I had my first chiro adjustment today.

Actually it was a fairly full-on appointment overall. More so from the amount of information I had to absorb in a relatively short period of time (and a lot of it less than good) than the adjustment itself, which took all of about two minutes to do.

It turns out that most of the places that my spine is supposed to curve, it doesn't... and places where it's not supposed to, it does. Plus my neck is further forward than it should be and my pelvis is out of alignment.

So, to boil it down, I'm totally fucked up.

Essentially the underlying issue has been around for about 20 years, and my body has just been compensating and compensating and compensating... and that incident in May was pretty much my spine going "you know what... fuck this for a joke, I've been doing this for too long, I'm done now".

I'll be honest, I had a little bit of a cry in the chiro's office... okay, I had three little cries... and I can't say for certain whether it was just because the news wasn't great and was a long standing issue I was pretty much unaware of (well, I knew there were issues with various body parts at various times, but I didn't realise they were all connected to each other and specifically connected to my spine) or if it was from relief that I could put a finger on the issue (as it were).

I think it was more the former to be honest, but I think there's a little bit of the latter in there too.

What originally set me off was the chiro telling me that I was just about halfway on the little visual aid spine between a normal spine and osteoarthritis spinal fusion.

That's never really news you want to hear.

All of the discussions and the explanations of what was wrong and what it was supposed to look like and what my spine actually looked like took, as I mentioned, the bulk of the appointment.

Then I got to experience The Table.

The Table is a disturbing piece of equipment... it looks like a cross between a massage table, a piece of exercise equipment and something that wouldn't have looked out of place in the Maquis de Sade's rumpus room. However I only spent a couple of minutes on it all up, three fairly quick adjustment spots... a little anticlimactic really. I don't know what I was expecting... I suppose I though it would take longer somehow.

Although when I got off the table I did feel like I was standing up straighter (and according to the chiro, I was).

Unfortunately the fact that I have to spend most of every day sitting at my desk isn't particularly useful... but I've managed to make all but one of my appointments for the next four weeks for after I leave work. It is a lot of appointments too... twice a week, which just happened to end up being Mondays and Fridays between now and the middle of August.

And hopefully by that point I shouldn't be in constant pain and more and my back should be approaching normality.

It has made me a little paranoid about doing every day things with my back though... which is good in one way I guess... a little bit the same way I was after I hurt it originally...

Annoyingly I just want the process to be done already... it's another one of those situations where I wish life had a fast forward button... or a montage...

Current Mood:

No comments: