pre mother's day shopping

pre mother's dayEven though Ma doesn't really bother about Mother's Day, today was all about her in a big way...

Normally I don't even bother with a present, but this year I just went through the "present box" in my wardrobe and picked out a couple of things from recent shopping trips. It disturbs me somewhat that I even HAVE a present box with a variety of stuff for Ma in it... but the fact that I could just go to it and pick some stuff out was both helpful and even more disturbing...

But she was more than happy with the Terry Pratchett book, the typewriter key necklace from a couple of weeks ago and a Rupert Bear card that was much more suited to Mother's Day than her birthday.

Shopping was fairly predictable, although I did get the ingredients for the minestrone soup that Pink tweeted the other day... so that should be interesting, especially since it has almost no quantities... sounds tasty though!

After all that and the associated unpacking and suchlike, we'd planned on going to Ikea since Ma finally got rid of her crappy old lounge suite yesterday, and hence had nothing comfortable to sit on. And I wanted to fondle and caress bookcases some more and poke around looking for something for my teevee...

So off the the Land of the Long White Swede we went...

We looked at chairs, we looked at bookcases, notes were made, the ongoing realisation that the Ikea "restaurant" is full of appalling and tasteless food, benches and tables and desks and whatnot... and of course, random stuff that wasn't really necessary was purchased...

And Ma finally made a decision on a chair... woohoo... or rather she acted on the decision she'd already made weeks ago...

I however didn't do anything more about bookcases... it will happen though... and sometime soonish I think... while I still have appropriate amounts of cash.

So we loaded up the car, brought Ma's chair back here and left it at my place, then went into town...

tea and dumplings at saldechinI'd kind of had a "master plan" for today to take Ma off to Saldechin for tea and dumplings, but with the trip to Ikea I wasn't completely sure it was going to come off. But we weren't looking at furniture for that long and it was about 2pm when we got into town.

Oddly enough there never seems to be very many people in when we go on Saturday afternoons... maybe they turn up for dinner or maybe it's busier on weekdays during lunch, but it's a very stylish place.

And the dumplings are nice enough... not made from scratch like the place at the North Adelaide Village... but tasty... especially the spring rolls. Although because they're so tiny, it's very easy to hoover them up at a rate of knots...

The tea always looks pretty, but essentially it kinda tastes like hot water with garden clippings... most bad... just, you know, a bit bland.

Fortunately the atmosphere makes up for any minor shortcomings in the food.

That was followed by a bit of a wander around town... and that was pretty much our day.

Current Mood:

1 comment:

Mind Of Mine said...

I don't know about the Ikea's in Oz are like but I love the Meatballs that they serve in the Uk.