disappointments and laksa

benzo's kingstore's pigeon armyWell I managed to get over the whole "running behind" thing pretty quickly this morning... I was actually all organised and ready to go out around 10am or so.

I grabbed my camera, cranked up the soundtrack for Little Shop of Horrors on the CD player, and trundled off into town in search of new street art goodies...

Unfortunately the place where I was headed was right near where all the road closures were for the Clipsal 500, and they were still taking everything apart... which made both driving, parking and just generally being a person in the world on those particular streets more difficult than it needed to be.

Anyway, got a park finally, wandered off down an appropriate side alleyway... and... NOTHING!

Big fat hairy scary nothing...

I managed to find the names of everybody involved scrawled on the corner of one of the buildings, and there was a bit of random unattractive tagging here and there... but overall, not a damn thing. Cue big pouty face!

I ended up circling the little maze of alleyways a couple of times, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything... but no, nothing! I have no idea what the hell happened there... maybe it was actually on the grounds of the pub that was promoting the event, maybe it just didn't happen, I have no idea (although I may have to swing past the TS Gallery and ask them!)...

There was this partially constructed or deconstructed building that had a new Benzo piece in it (another tiki face... this time with wings), but the way the light was falling I can't get the photo bright enough in the dark places and stable enough in the light places to do anything with it... so that's going to have to be another trip (maybe on Saturday after my haircut if not before)... but that was it really...

So by the end of my little trip I was slightly overheated (my own fault, I was wearing black), annoyed (partly because my thongs were annoying me and I was wishing I'd put proper shoes on) and was just generally over it.

Luckily as all that was coming to a close, the good bit of the day kicked in.

It's my buddy Stu's birthday today (Happy Birthing Day Stu!), and I sent him a general birthday SMS this morning, which I got a reply to while I was wandering about, and after a bit of first SMS, then voicemail pingpong, we decided to meet up for lunch (fortunately I had enough time to come home, change my top, put some proper shoes on and then go back out again).

I can't remember the name of the place we went (I just looked it up... it's Kopi Tim) ... it's Malaysian food, and they have a $7.90 lunch special of a bunch of different things, one of them being Laksa... and according to Stu, this is supposedly the best laksa in town right at the moment. I will admit, it was a very nice laksa... full of bits and pieces, and two types of noodles (okay, that kinda struck me like they were using up the stuff they had left), it was actually really nice. The decor not so great, but the food was good.

After we'd finished lunch (which, given the size of the bowls took a while anyway) and finished chatting and fiddling with phones, etc, I took Stu for a quick car based tour of some of the bits and pieces of street art I'd found in that general part of town... which was something of a challenge in some cases, because I just couldn't remember where everything was.

There were two particular pieces I was searching for... one being the huge red and black piece with the ladies (not sure I've actually blogged any individual shots of that though, it did show up in a montage though), because I thought Stu would appreciate that... the other being the piece I found before going down to Ma's during pre-Christmas prep...

The red and black ladies are all safely behind a wire fence at the moment... something to do with the Fringe, it's either an event space or something to do with parking, I'm not totally sure...

But the other piece had been removed... boring!

Fortunately the boys just came back and redid something over the top of the quite badly done removal... specifically the King and part of the Pigeon Army in the shots up at the top... along with some more random "subway style" text.

I LOVE Benzo's king though! Very much a playing card king, but I like that style anyway... the only thing that annoys me a little is that I just know that there's a word in the sash across his chest, there seems to be a K and a C, then later on an N and an A... so maybe it's not a word, just somebody's initials...

So I might not have found the new street art I was hoping to find when I went out this morning, but I did end up finding some new stuff anyway...

Current Mood:

No comments: