some sunday shopping

After doing a vast amount of not very much yesterday (there did end up being a visit to the sauna, but it wasn't anything to write home about... or more accurately blog about, since that's not the type of story I'm really going to write home about... now, where was I?) today wasn't any different than a typical Saturday... except that it was a Sunday...

The main downside of which is that the shops don't open until 11am... rude! Okay, maybe not rude exactly, I'm just happy that things are actually open, but it's still a bit annoying.

We didn't really do anything much different than usual as far as the whole Supermarketness is concerned... I mean maybe I bought a few more things than I usually would have, but I was suffering from a severe lack of food items by the time we got to this morning... so much so that my breakfast choices were reduced to either chocolate or jelly (jello)... sad really... tasty, but sad...

Then we headed into the city to take a look at the Rundle Street Markets and drop into Borders and a couple of other bits and pieces, none of them terribly exciting.

I will say though that The Gays were out in force today... I don't know if it was because it's a Sunday, or because the Fringe is on, or what, but even at the Supermarket they seemed to be coming out (no pun intended) of the woodwork... from the guy working at the chemist to two baby emo gays (or "bubee emo'mo" as I christened them) in Starbucks they just seemed to be everywhere. Not that that's a bad thing... just interesting.

There were also a large number of stupid people out... so maybe it's just that there were a lot of people out and about, I dunno...

Oh, and as much as I like the Festival and the Fringe, the one thing I hate about this time of year are the overly perky and annoying buskers... partly because they're overly perky and annoying, but also because they just take up huge amounts of space and end up with big crowds around them and just basically get in the way. I don't have a problem with people unless they happen to be in my way or otherwise interfering in my general sense of peace and wellbeing.

We stopped off to see the guy who makes the little dragons and other mythological things because he'd had some seahorse style dragons (or dragon style seahorses, I'm not sure which) last time... but he only had one left and Ma wasn't nuts about it. When I chatted with him last time I commented that he should try making some little mice/rats (he had some little pigs that made me think of the Chinese horoscope, and since this is the Year of the Rat)... turns out that he took that idea and ran with it in a slightly different direction, made a scorpion (for Scorpio) and it sold really quickly...

And because we started later than we usually would, the whole day seemed to really fly by at a rate of knots, and before we knew it places seemed to be packing up and getting ready to close.

Also, as I speak Benzo, Jules, Store and friends (eleven of them in all) are winding down a Fringe sponsored street art session in town, which Store actually mentioned when we were in the gallery. I did think about swinging past while we were out and just seeing what they were up to, but for whatever reason that just seemed weird (even though it was an official "event" and showed up in a flyer I got in the mail late last week)... so I'll toddle off into town tomorrow and photograph it while it's really fresh which will be cool.

Oh, and in the realm of minor freakouts... TWO WEEKS UNTIL SYDNEY! I had a minor "out of body" experience on Friday night when I caught the end of the SBS news showing some ocean liner (Queen Victoria?) coming into Sydney Harbour... I thought, wow, not long until I'm going to be standing right down there near the Bridge and the Opera House... freaky... cool, but slightly freaky...

Current Mood:

4 comments:

Monty said...

You betcha baby! There's more Queens in Sydney at the moment than anywhere else in the world!!! LOL

Volacious said...

Monty's certainly not wrong! More queens than you can poke a stick (or anything else) at!

There were actually two ships in the harbour today... the Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria. They passed each other just opposite the Opera House.

You'll love Sydney, but why aren't you coming up for Mardi Gras? There's nothing else like Sydney at Mardi Gras time!

yani said...

LOL... well don't let them leave right after the parade is over Monty... kidnap some and keep them safe for me ;)

And I think there might be a slightly longer ramble about the timing of my visit Vol, I'll have to set down and try and bash something out this week.

yani said...

Okay, maybe I'm not going to do an actual blog post about it after all...

The Readers Digest Condensed Version...

Firstly I'm actually that interested in the concept of Mardi Gras anyway... secondly even if I was, I hate crowds so I can't see myself going to the parade... and if I was ever going to come to Sydney for Mardi Gras I would come over on my own rather than with Ma...

As far as more specific reasons, I figured that it would be harder to get cheap hotel accommodation during Mardi Gras than after it had all finished, originally we were thinking of booking the tickets in late February, but then I realised what would be happening in Sydney and figured it was possibly a bad plan.

I'm sure there were other reasons at the time, but that's what I can remember right now.