fifth blogiversary

yaniblog's fifth blogiversaryCan you believe that it has been 1826 days (that's exactly five years) since I started this blog?

In some ways it feels like I've been doing it for a lot, lot longer... but by the same token, 5 years already? Really?

The odd thing is that the moment I sat down at the computer to start the blog is indelibly burned into my memory... I have no idea what the hell I was doing 5 minutes before, or 5 minutes after, but I remember the moment (possibly it has come up in my memory every 365 days for the past five years).

This last 7 months have been different from the previous 4 years and 5 months though. And that's totally due to the seductive yet demanding little bluebird that has infiltrated my life... Twitter.

Things that I might have stored up and turned into a post now just get thrown out 140 characters at a time, so between Twitter, Google Reader and my own blog sometimes it's the latter that suffers. Actually, my own blog is always the loser in those situations... or I end up not doing other things to make blogging time.

It's the modern dilemma really... far too much information to deal with given the amount of hours in the day... information overload.

I've been thinking about this in light of the blog for a while now... having published something every single day (sometimes more than once a day) since about October 2005 (I thought there was a post where I specifically mentioned it, but buggered if I can find it now), I know that I regularly struggle to find things to say on Sundays, Wednesdays and every other Tuesday. And there have been a couple of instances of late where I haven't even realised I didn't post something until 11pm... or just pulled something substandard out of my ass (not literally obviously... it's not that kind of blog).

Bad blogging yani... bad...

I also know that sometimes it has felt much more like an obligation than a pleasure.

And no, this isn't me taking the long way around to say that I'm shutting down the blog, I just think I'm not going to post every day unless I particularly have something worth saying or showing. Essentially I think it's just going to mean that Sundays, Wednesdays and every other Tuesday will probably tend towards the vacant.

Hopefully it also means that the stuff I do end up posting will be better... but we all know that that's not especially likely don't we...

I will just briefly add that I'm continually thankful for this blog... it allows me to vent when I'm cranky and share my joy... it acts as my memory and my art gallery... but mostly I'm thankful for the people who come here and leave their own thoughts... especially those that I now consider friends.

Current Mood:

6 comments:

rogantyley said...

Happy Anniversary Yani xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Yani!! Really like your blog!

Peter said...

Happy Blogoversary Yani!

Bodhi said...

Congrats on your 5th Blogoversary Yani. Now that you conquered the Twitterverse, how about giving Facebook a go?

Victor said...

And my congratulations to you too!

yani said...

Thanks everyone!

And no, Bodhi, you'll never ever see me on Faceblah... :P