pre-birthday birthday lunch for ma

sixtieth birthday cakeToday was the day that I was supposed to take Ma somewhere nice for lunch since it's her birthday on Thursday...

Fortunately it's not the final birthday related thing we're doing... that's on Tuesday, when I'm making her dinner, giving her her presents and we're supposed to be going to the movies (we may stay at my place with a DVD though, since there's not really anything on at the movies that we want to see this week... I'm thinking maybe The Black Dahlia).

After the usual Random Shopping Adventures™ (and I just realised I left a Happy Tree Friends DVD, a ball of wool and a set of needles (for fixing the hole in the edge of my Teddy Blankey with some nice blanket stitch) under the passenger seat in Ma's car... stoopid, stoopid, stoopid)... I also spent far too much time nipping into various places to check on either birthday cards or gift boxes/bags or whatever... which means I'm going to be a busy boy on Tuesday getting everything organised (and thankfully I actually have a day off from work, since everyone is off on a planning day thingy, so I'm just going to stay home... or, rather, run around various places getting everything organised for Ma's birthday dinner that night) anyway... after all that, we had planned to go to a place on Melbourne Street (ie the other side of North Adelaide from me) for lunch, at Ma's suggestion... thinking that it was reasonably priced. Which it turned out to not really be... so we decided against it and ended up wandering up and down Melbourne Street, but unlike O'Connell Street, a lot of the places don't open for lunch, only dinner... plus, they're generally more expensive on Melbourne Street.

So we wandered up and down and couldn't decide on anything (not a rare even for Ma and me I have to say), but just as we were about to give up I suggested we go to the Queen Street Deli, which we've been to two or three times now, and always quite enjoy... although it isn't really a "special occasion" type of place... even though we had originally planned to go there for my birthday... and just ended up picking something from their "Breakfast all day" menu... scrambled eggs and bacon... but I paid, so I guess it counts.

Actually, if she'd been able to make her mind up I might have bought her a new watch for her birthday... we looked in a couple of jewellery stores, and she actually tried some on, but she didn't like the faces or the clasps on any of them... so that didn't happen... we might have to hit a lot of stores in a full on "Get Ma A New Watch" blitz in a couple of weeks...

Not an overly different weekend from normal to be honest...

Current Mood:

No comments: