adventures with hair, seahorses and cake

haircut dayOy... what a day... I cannot even be telling you...

Okay, that's not true, I can be telling you... which is why I have a blog...

It's been a fairly eventful day though.

First off it was Haircut Day... yaaaaay Haircut Day... Once again I managed to sync my haircut up to a day where the weather turned out to be quite hot... granted, it's summer and all, but this is actually the hottest day for like a week, and it's today I had Haircut Day... it's just weird...

Anyway, since it was also Haircut Day for Ma today too (and partly the reason that I was having Haircut Day so soon since the last time, so that neither of us had to wait for the other one before we did our Regular Shopping Thing™), I hauled my butt into town on the bus, grabbed a Farmers Union Strong Iced Coffee on the way through (which actually tasted different from the ones I get at the supermarket, not as nice to be honest, so hopefully it was just an odd batch) and was at the hairdressers before The Everlovely Tink had even opened the doors.

The whole actual haircut thing wasn't really that different from last time... well, the haircut was the same as last time, maybe a little bit more textured through the top, but I also had a similar colour to the time before... although not quite so blonde... actually it's still pretty blonde... but it's okay...

Since I probably won't be having my hair coloured again much before May, or maybe even June, I said to Tink that we might think about going over to the dark side next time... and she said she already had a plan for something in the dark range, although she wouldn't tell me what it was... I always find it a little amusing yet disturbing when your hairdresser makes plans for your next haircut/colour without you...

I also had to pass on my recommendation for Stranger Than Fiction while I was there... we usually end up talking movies, but since I gave it the highest score ever, I had to tell her to go and see it... and she even said that if I scored it at ten out of ten then it must be worth seeing.

We also had a brief bitch, along with one of the other hairdressers, about various celebs dresses from the Oscars (Nicole good, Gwyneth bad) in a back issue of Who magazine... and gave our opinions on how insane Britney is right now (very, by the way)...

Then Ma rocked up and we went off on the whole Regular Shopping Thing™...

seahorse farm 2007After that we decided that it would be nice to go down to Port Adelaide and visit the Seahorse Farm (thank you Tom for the link to their website, which I couldn't find... like, ever)... since Ma has the whole seahorse thing going. There was just SOOOO much seahorse related stuff down there... I think it might be worth a little trip down there on my own at some point near Christmas to get Ma something...

It's not the hugest place ever... and looking around when you first get there, it seems a little... well... lackluster I guess... but when you start looking at all the little seahorses in the various tanks it actually gets pretty interesting. I didn't actually realise how tiny some of them are when they're born... like teeny tiny almost invisible little things... cute though.

So we did at least two laps there (just to get our money's worth), chatted with the woman who runs it (and her parents who help her) on and off a few times, Ma spent some random money on a couple of bits and pieces in the shop part, I signed the guestbook for both of us, and we eventually dragged ourselves out of the door.

The only think I was disappointed about was the fact that they don't allow cameras... whether that was because of the whole "flash" issue, or what, I don't know, I could have asked, but I honestly couldn't be bothered. It just means I don't have any nice photos of seahorsies to post. Shame that.

yummy cake 2007And to round out the day we drove over to this bakery place called The Mill Bakehouse, which turned up as one of the 101 Food Secrets (number 65) in a recent edition of The Advertiser's Food & Wine section (I went through them all and marked out the ones that looked like they were worth a visit, so that should keep us busy for a while)...

I gotta say, it's definitely worth a visit... funky decor, friendly staff girlies, a lemon tart thing (that's it in the back next to the card) that's just gorgeous... oh and their Greek salad isn't bad either. We would never have found it on our own since it's basically in the middle of nowhere... which is where the whole secret thing comes in obviously...

Then it was back here to watch this week's episode of Heroes...

And since it's about twelve hours since I got up and started this whole thing, I think I might go and relax for a while now...

Current Mood:

5 comments:

Tom said...

Hmmm.... I googled "seahorse farm" and found a link... Is this the place?

Rather disturbingly there's an order form to buy seahorses...

I didn't read what you do with them though... eat them with chips?

yani said...

Hmmm... yeah... why the f*&@^% didn't that show up when I went looking... *mutter*

LOL... and no, you don't eat them, it's for the saltwater aquarium market.

j said...

Apparently, there is a recipe that uses seahorse as one of its ingredients. Check out http://www.helium.com/tm/98839/recently-traveling-first-things

yani said...

See, after what I saw at the Seahorse Farm, anyone attempting to order soup with dead pregnant male seahorses in it would just be getting a short, sharp blow to the back of the head from me...

Sunshine said...

LOL. I've NEVER thought of seahorse as edible - EVER!!! :P