movies: the illusionist

the illusionist - nothing is what it seemsThe tagline for The Illusionist is "Nothing is what it seems"....

Sadly, that's not really the case with this movie. It's no Prestige, let me put it that way.

I'd actually worked out pretty much the whole thing halfway through the movie, and spent the rest of the time waiting for Paul Giamatti's character to catch up.

Aesthetically its quite a beautiful movie... very sepia toned, but that never bothers me... and the Czech locations were gorgeous. And Dick Pope, the cinematographer gets snaps for doing the best with what he had to work with script-wise...

It's just a very predictable movie... or maybe I've just seen too many similar movies with similar types of endings that think they're being all clever, when really they aren't...

Even the cast seems a little lackluster... Edward Norton, who was such a strong presence in Fight Club, doesn't seem terribly interesting at all here... Jessica Biel seems slightly out of place as a duchess (not surprising since she replaced another actress who dropped out of the film just as filming was about to begin), and has the odd spot of bother with maintaining her very slight accent... Paul Giamatti probably does the best out of all of them, but like I said before, it seems to take him far too long to catch onto what's actually going on... and I've seen Rufus Sewell in so many nasty evil rolls, I think I've just started to dislike him because of those characters rather than anything about him personally.

It's a pretty movie, but kinda predictable...

And for the record, this post's title comes from one of my favourite characters in one of my favourite movies...

yani's rating: 1 butterfly locket out of 5

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Thanks for that. I won't rush out to see it then. :) Meanwhile, Sam is threatening to drag me to see The Host. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a good year.

yani said...

Actually The Host sounds like it could be okay... although it's all subtitled and stuff...

Thanks Joe :)