camera club judge for a night

Something slightly different at Camera Club tonight... it was the competition for B Grader portraiture... a contest I never actually got a chance to enter, since the competition is always in April, I started at the club at the beginning of May, and got promoted up to A Grade at the end of that year, so never got a crack at the trophy...

*mutter*

But, being an A Grader does mean that we get to be judges for the night and all score the images from the B Graders... Oh the power! Well, okay, not really... but it's nice to be able to score things how I think they should be scored. But again, like with all things Camera Club, the predictable and the "safe" always seem to win... okay, and female models too...

The winning entry and the two runners up were fairly safe, fairly dull though technically quite good, but all of women (which I suppose is an upgrade on it being an old and wrinkly man like it has been in previous years)... I will admit, that the image of the African girl that came in third was one I gave a 10 to, since it was a really striking image... but the others were just... well... m'eh...

It was really disappointing that the shot of the really attractive male model in a white shirt against a pale wall that I wanted to give a 10 to, turned out, on closer inspection, to have been blown up too large and the whole shot was all jagged and close up it just looked awful. From a distance though... wow!

Oh, and it seems like Stu and I have possibly adopted or been adopted by (I'm not sure which yet) but the random 15yo I mentioned back on my birthday... I chatted to him a little at the beginning of the Disposable Camera shoot, and tonight he came and sat with Stu and I... asked us to take a look at his portfolio... I have to admit, the kid is talented... *mutter mutter*... a lot of his stuff was slightly predictable, but technically very proficient... lil bastard...

It also turns out that EVERYONE had craptastic photos from the Disposable Camera shoot... I took a look at at least five different people's prints... and there was a lot of bad flash, fingers in the way, out of focus, badly lit shots... so I'm so glad I didn't bother taking part.

To be honest tonight's Club was a little bit of a yawnfest... I think we possibly spent more time at coffee afterwards (and Stu and I talking in the street before he hopped in his car) than we did at the club... that might be a slight exaggeration, but possibly not by much.

And since the next meeting falls on Anzac Day, and they're going to do a "social night" instead of something actually constructive... well... I'll see if I can talk Ma into going to an extra movie... that is, if there's anything decent on...

Current Mood: non committal

No comments: