topham wall returns

Topham Wall is back... kind of...
The council has granted approval to a group of young artists taking part in a Carclew Youth Arts program to spray a piece over the wall they had painted over and ruled off limits to graffiti. 

I went down today at lunch... took my digital camera, which turned out to have a completely flat battery. Fortunately though, I had my iPhone with me, and that produced some decent shots.

But it also looks like I'll have to go and visit it more often again...
Carclew public art program manager Annemarie Kohn said the council had chosen a number of people to paint the Topham Mall site, between Waymouth and Currie streets, every three weeks.

I do like the bats... I don't know who's responsible for them... but they're all kinds of awesome...
Carclew ran a graffiti art workshop in May for 80 aspiring artists, and have a waiting list of more than 100 people for future workshops. From that process, they selected three young artists to work on the piece with renowned graffiti artists; Dash from Melbourne, Kab from Adelaide and Perth artist Poise. The youth and the artists designed the work on Saturday and used all of yesterday to paint it.

And I still haven't gotten myself around to the new "free wall"...
Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said it was a good outcome that addressed concerns about street art. "It is no longer a 'free wall'," he said. "There is a free wall under the Morphett St bridge where artists can go their hardest."
I'll be interested to see how Topham develops this time around though...

(Quotes from 'Spray it again, Sam - Topham Mall graffiti wall re-opens' - Adelaide Now)

Current Mood:

No comments: