what's on my bookshelves

what's on my bookshelves 2006I'm a sucker for a decent meme... and I'm even more of a sucker for anything book related...

Which is why I couldn't go past the What's On Your Bookshelves? meme that Andrew posted yesterday...

Unfortunately due to size restrictions (ie my apartment is tiny) I a) wasn't able to take just one shot to include my two bookshelves, and b) don't have as many books as I once did... although there is still a smallish (kinda) overflow living in a trunk at Ma's place... there is one other bookcase (just to the left of the CD rack) that is mostly full of DVD's but the bottom shelf of which has a lot of my large books, photography stuff for the most part.

Before I get to the books I will point out that the two Buddhas, the Laughing Buddha on the left and the multi-armed Buddha on the right, have appeared in posts before, as has the glitter lamp behind the multi-armed Buddha... the two Buddhas both sit on my stereo speakers, which flank my teevee, which is between the two bookshelves (you can see a tiny corner of it at the bottom left of the right hand pic).

And yes, there are pieces of tape on my fairy lights... that's to remind me which of the bulbs have blown... I must get around to replacing them someday...

And yes, that obviously is a naked male headless, armless and legless pseudo-Classical statue on the bottom right... another Cheap As Chips find... I think it was around $15, and although it looks like it's made of plaster, it's actually metal (and hollow).

But onto the books...

The left bookcase is "the good stuff"... the right bookcase is "the other stuff"...

Going down the shelves, some of the highlights of the left bookcase are.... top shelf, Laurell K Hamilton's pretty much entire Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry collection... second shelf, Harry Potter and assorted gay photo books, particularly stuff by Howard Roffman... third shelf, almost completely Terry Pratchett's Discworld series... fourth shelf, the collected works of Matthew Reilly and Armistead Maupin's Tales series... fifth shelf is fairly random... bottom shelf, although it's hard to see, on the left hand side there are my folders containing my photographic portfolio and negatives, and on the right, a pile of old DNA magazines.

On the right bookcase... the top shelf is completely Anne McCaffrey, although to be honest, a large section of those are going to be "donated" to Ma (possibly on Mother's Day), since I'm kind of over them... second shelf, my incomplete Katharine Kerr collection including Daggerspell, the book I mentioned in my reincarnation post... on the third shelf we have a mixture of things, including (the blue book next to the big lime green one) my "bible" when it comes to all things astrology, The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need (which looks like it's out in a new edition according to Amazon.com... woohoo) and on the right side of that shelf, under a glass dome we have my collectible figure of Oz (Seth Green) from Buffy, this way he doesn't get dusty, and right next to him is my collection of bookmarks (I like to change bookmarks when I start a new book)... the fourth shelf has a lot of Agatha Christie... the fifth shelf is random again, although it does contain a couple of my Anne Rice books, and tucked away in the corner on the right hand side are my old Noddy books... and on the bottom shelf, a box of comics, my unused mini photo albums and a pile of random stuff...

And yes, for the record (and I did mention this once before), all my books are arranged from tallest on the left, to the shortest on the right on each shelf, and all the books are lined up with the edge of the shelf...

Eddy... don't say anything... not a damn word... you have no moral highground here...

Want to know something funny... for the vast majority of time while I was writing this meme, I could (and still can) smell old paper... you know, that old book smell, musty but comforting... and I have no idea where it's coming from! Weird!

Current Mood: feeling geeky

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Hmm ... I arrange my books in the order of height and genre as well. :P So I can't pay out on you. Although ... *retrained*

I spotted those Harry Potter books straight away which made my heart skip a beat. :)

Tom said...

Hello,
There's nothing wrong with tall left to short right... it'd be a bit scary though if it was Alphabetical!
By the way - you must owe a hell of a lot in library fines for the right hand shelf! :-)

yani said...

LOL I'd forgotten I hadn't mentioned that... no I wasn't the world's best (or worst) library thief... Ma and I used to go to a bunch of library sales back when I was a teenager where they would sell off all the old library books for not very much... it may have even been as little as 20c a book... so naturally I made out like a bandit...

Bodhi said...

all my books are arranged from tallest on the left, to the shortest on the right on each shelf, and all the books are lined up with the edge of the shelf

Sweetie, I do the same thing. So in the immortal words of my daughter, 'its nerfectly pormal', m'kay.

When hanging clothes out on the line, I also like to match pegs colours. No, that is not obsessive compulsive **rolls eyes** I'm just colour coordinating, m'kay ... so its just .... ummm .... gay.