post fringe round-up 2019

About a week and a half ago I remember seeing something (probably on Twitter) that said "it's the last week of the Fringe"... and I thought to myself "that can't be right, we're only halfway through, surely.

But no... due to the our reduced program of events (I haven't been to this few shows since 2010) the Fringe was over and done and I still left like I was only halfway.

On the up side, because I had to be very specific about the shows on my list, we didn't see any duds, and most of the shows were excellent (more than half of them got a 5/5).

I also got to invoke Rule 3, which I always enjoy.

I noticed a horrible little development in Gluttony this year... previously Bank SA members can access the Fringe program a day earlier than everyone else... which is fine, stuff isn't going to sell out in one day... but this year they had a program where if you showed your Bank SA card you could jump to the front of the queue.

Excuse me? That is some bullshit. Especially because I'm a Fringe Member... where's my jump to the start of the queue ability. That is completely ridiculous. But then Gluttony has been slowly turning into a copy of the Garden over the last few years instead of the scruffy little weirdo it started out as.

Anyway... enough ranting.

On to ratings.
  1. You and I
    "Not since 2015's Bromance have I been this moved by a circus show... in fact, much like that show, I was brought almost to tears on multiple occasions." 5/5

    Such a beautiful, beautiful show... and as always with the shows that really speak to me, it was less about the acrobatic tricks (which were impressive) than it was about the story and the characters of the performers. Tell me a good story and I'll love you forever.

  2. Twelfth Night - The HandleBards
    "It's fast, it's dangerous, but it's a hell of a ride." 5/5

    Shakespeare at the speed of laughter... The HandleBards are definitely a group that gets added to the "must see again" list.

  3. Macbeth in space! (and two other locations...)
    "And the whole thing was actually funny. I think, beyond the performances, it was tying all of the tropes from the three different scenarios to Macbeth that managed to bring out the humour." 5/5

    This was not the least little bit what I assumed it was, but totally exceeded every expectation I had. And it's never bad when a show leaves you wanting to see more.

  4. Railed
    "The boys have put together a hilarious, ridiculous, entertaining and very high energy show that had me hooting, hollering and cheering from beginning to end." 5/5

    Head First never disappoints, both with their sexy men and the quality of their shows... they've definitely got another hit on their hands.

  5. Another Night at the Musicals
    "It's camp, it's ridiculous, it's hilarious, it's gorgeous, it's a good old sing along with songs you know. It's always worth the price of admission. Go see them." 5/5

    Chocolat and Woo... back again. Really, what's not to love... I'll keep showing up until they run out of musicals to celebrate and mock.

  6. Quest Time!
    "It was an excellent show... it never went completely off the rails (which I tend to prefer in both my DnD and my improv), and I had a lot of laughs." 4/5

    I didn't realise that this was going to be one long game of improv DnD for the whole of the Fringe... a friend went to see it a couple of weeks after me and they were playing the same characters. So definitely a show you could have gone to again and again and again.

  7. The Measure of a Man
    "Roach is an engaging performer who seems to effortlessly capture the attention of an audience, even when the themes got a little heavy." 4/5

    This definitely made me think... but it was perhaps a story that spoke to me less than some of the others.

  8. Box and Cox - Married and Settled
    "But I have to say, much like the first show, Austin steals every single scene she's in as Bouncer. Up to and including improvising with the crowd before the show officially starts." 3/5

    I very much appreciate that they managed to make a play from 1852 feel, if not modern, then at least give it a freshness and a comedic bite. It's just unfortunate that I don't think this one holds up to the original.
Current Mood:

No comments: