photo saturday: flag heart

australia flag beach hutbeachheart
There's a phrase that keeps rolling around in my head...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."
This is generally attributed to Albert Einstein, but there's no proof he actually said it... however don't Google that shit because you end up in a world of nobody knowing anything about anything.

There's a couple of reasons it's been taking up real estate in my head though. One is work, because it does often seem like we tell people the same things again and again and again and yet they never learn. Sadly it's not always the same people, but it does make me insane.

The second is that I've been going down to Ma's place every Saturday she hurt her shoulder in November, and really there's not a hell of a lot to do, so we end up doing pretty much the same thing over and over and over. And frankly, I'm just tired of her suburb. Yes, once upon a time it was my suburb too, but I had the good sense to move the hell away. And yes, we may have been essentially doing the same thing anyway, just at a different location. It's also kind of hard to really complain all that much without sounding like an ungrateful twat.

I think I'm just a little generally frustrated with a lot of little things, and it ends up making me a little crazy.

And when I go a little crazy, and also do the same shopping trip over and over and over again is I end up spending too much money online buying things I don't necessarily need. Or alternatively distracting myself with things that are time consuming but essentially pointless. 

Also, I think that social media, specifically Twitter, is making me a little nuts right now... and if things don't change after this first week of overseas insanity I may have to stop following some people, not because I want to, but because I just can't deal with the level of toxic content that they're having to respond to.

It's going to be a long four years.

Anyway...

Last Sunday I "accidentally" played through the whole Firewatch audio commentary. I didn't mean to, I was just going to finish up the last part, but when I tried to load it, no bueno, it wouldn't load. So I restarted... and accidentally did the whole thing in one sitting. Whoops.

Then I put together the Lego Sydney skyline in the evening. And then I made tomato soup. It was a bit of a hodgepodge... not my worst interpretation by any means, but I was also kind of bored with it by about Wednesday.

Thursday was Australia Day... or Invasion Day... or whatever the fuck you want to call it. What I call it is a much needed day off work.

And what did I do with my Australia Day? I spend most of the morning cleaning the house, sorting out some of my books and otherwise putting the place back together. Then I set about making sausage rolls. I made a LOT of sausage rolls. And because I didn't have any onions (I thought I did... turns out no), I substituted green apple instead, which made the mixture a little sloppier than previous versions, but still pretty good. The only downside was the fact it took much longer to get them all nicely golden brown than the recipe said (I'm guessing it was partly because of my giant oven).

By the time I was finished with all that and had played some video games for a bit, that was pretty much my day all done.

Part of me thinks that I should have taken Friday off... the other part of me knows that I got through a fuckton of work, so it was worth it.

I also picked up a parcel from the post office after work on Friday... I got hold of the two Pop Vinyls that Ma was going over to the shops to look for when she hurt her shoulder... I'll either give her one for her birthday and one for Christmas or both for one or the other, I haven't decided.

I think whatever impetus I had to get up and organised really early on a Saturday morning and make it to the supermarket before it opened has officially left me. I still made it there before we usually got there when Ma was coming down here, but I wasn't really breaking any land speed records.

As with every other week of recent memory, I did my shopping (and Ma's), packed up the car and headed down to Ma's place. I'd thought maybe we might head to the movies, but no, nothing worth bothering with was on at a decent time... so after I helped Ma defrost her fridge (and once March rolls around and Fringe is over and Ma is able to drive again, we're getting her a new fucking fridge because her current one is essentially an antique) we did pretty much what we've been doing the last few weeks... went to the shopping centre, poked around a bit and came back. Okay, we poked around less places this time, but same old same old.

That was about it really...

Current Mood:

No comments: