oh, press gang, my press gang

press gang season oneAhhhh... Press Gang.... to use a phrase from the blog of a former workmate, this series is a big dose of wearing my nostalgia pants (they're very comfortable but not very flattering).

I originally taped the show when it was on the ABC, and have watched it numerous times since, but having it come out on DVD was more than enough to make me do a prolonged happy dance. And now that I have the first two seasons, and, better yet, have started watching them again, I can honestly say that it's still one of my favourite teevee series' of all time.

Sure, some of the clothes and the hairstyles have dated a little... but then, this IS a show that's about 15 years old...

Suddenly I feel so old...

The secret the show was always that even though it was a "children's show", it never treated it's audience like they were stupid, or wouldn't get the sophistication of the dialog. I read a review on the BBC website recently that compared the style and sophistication of the show to Buffy, and they're right... no, no vampires in Press Gang, but its that witty mix of comedy and drama, and the ability to turn on a dime as they say, from one to the other.

I have to say though, that its the quality of the writing which I still adore, and can still remember and quote large chunks of it regularly... which is either really cool or really sad, depending on your point of view...

My only disappointment over the DVDs are the lack of both subtitles and those all important bonus features (which, from what the review on the BBC website mentioned above says, the UK version has).

Current Mood: excited and nostalgic

No comments: