photo saturday: artimals

plaster catrusty giraffe

wire dingosmarble koala
This week got a little crazy at times...

I made potato and leek soup this week, and it was pretty good, thanks to a liberal helping of cheese.

My obsession with D&D continues... I went to all three sessions this week (Monday night, Wednesday morning and Thursday night), Monday was kind of nuts with five or six tables, each with at least six or seven people, so the noise was a little crazy.

It's also kind of interesting that the guy who I really dislike as a player actually makes an outstanding DM, possibly because he's a little too "into" the roleplay aspect as a player, but that is a good trait for a DM.

The other realisation I had this week, which is probably so outstandingly obvious, but I don't think I'd ever organised the thought into exact words before. D&D is collaborative storytelling. The DM has a version of a story, but each of the players bring the story of the characters to that, and then once the game begins, each person's actions change the story, for good or ill, depending.

I will also say that D&D is a great excuse to buy more stationery... because of course it is.

I started playing my second character this week as well, who's a cross between Moana's grandmother and Oprah basically (more that she looks like Oprah and acts like the grandmother to be honest), who's called Mama Lullaby. Which meant that for four hours on Thursday night I had a room full of six grown (presumably straight, but I'd hate to be presumptuous) men referring to me as "Mama".

And that wasn't even the weirdest thing that happened in that game.

Also on Thursday I went for my walk, came home and went to plug in my iPhone to charge it. I've been having trouble with the phone charging for a while now, and it'd gotten to the point where it would only charge in very specific positions. I assumed it was because of the way I used to hold it when it was on charge (applying a small amount of pressure to the charge connection), and over time the connectors had just ended up being bent.

I've been trying to avoid using it as much as possible, which has been relatively easy, given that I'm at home and can easily just use the laptop instead, and only charging it when I absolutely need to.

And when I plugged it in on Thursday... nothing. I tried all the usual tricks but the damn thing would not register that it was attached to the charger. And I had 9% battery left. And I haven't synced my phone with iTunes for... three years. I don't know exactly, but I know that I haven't done if for the entire time I've had this laptop, since I never got around to reinstalling it on here.

In the afternoon I headed into the city to go visit the Apple Store. I should really have called ahead and arranged an appointment, but I didn't... so when I got there it was an hour and a half wait. Given the time frame, I ended up catching the bus back home, grabbing my D&D gear and driving back into town, so I didn't need to rush afterwards, since I had no idea how long the appointment was going to take.

Turned out that it didn't take all that long as all. After waiting for a little while, the bearded hipster Apple Genius boy came and found out what was wrong, then took my phone in the back (because they always take stuff into the back and do something magical and mysterious with it) for maybe ten minutes tops, and brought it back out, 100% fixed.


From what he said there was "stuff" (pocket fluff most likely) wedged into the charging port as well as the headphone jack, so he did whatever they do to clean that stuff out and I was good to go.

Well, as good to go as I could be with only 1% battery left. But he also plugged the phone in for me and told me I could hang around as long as I needed to to charge it up. Which was very sweet of him.

I stuck around for maybe half an hour, until the phone was up to about 40% charged, then went off on my merry way. It's so weird the difference between having a phone that you avoid using or that isn't working properly and one that is back to full strength. It's a little like having a fully functional limb again.

Which I fully acknowledge is all kinds of lame, but it's the world in which we find ourselves at present.

This morning I went off to do the usual supermarket thing. I honestly bought hardly anything, if I hadn't been buying things for Ma my trolley would have looked very sad. After unpacking and the like I headed off to Ma's place.

You can tell Ma is much on the mend, because she'd been making Ham Hearts. Which was sweet, because we never had any this Christmas, and it was definitely one of the things she's mentioned as being something she wants to do "when she's better". Plus, Ham Hearts straight out of the oven... there's nothing nicer.

We didn't really have any plans, so we just headed off to the movies, but to Hoyts instead of Reading, which was a nice change, if only because they have fancy reclining chairs at Hoyts.

Afterwards we stopped off for some food and got some really, really nice stuff from Noodle Box, which isn't somewhere we usually go.

And then I headed home. So not really an exciting day but it wasn't too bad.

Current Mood:

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...