photo saturday: ups and downs

waterside woodferry feet

1878 lionfitzroy lane
It's been a bit of an odd week.

Firstly I made what can only be described as a metric fuckton of tuna mornay last weekend, however I ran into the same problem that I did a couple of weeks ago when I completely over spiced a perfectly good pumpkin soup. And that problem is that up until quite recently I've been using spices that are five years old at best and ten plus years old at worst.. so some of the kick has gone out of them. But now I'm using brand new spices, and even using tiny amounts is basically enough to rip the back of my head off.

Which isn't to say that the mornay was bad, just that it was very spicy. Also, by the end of the week I was decidedly over it.

The first couple of days of the week were pretty average, by which I mean dull, but on Wednesday I finally did something I've been intending/promising/threatening to do for months now.

I went to play D&D (Dungeons and Dragons).

It's been a very long time coming, but it did help that it was in my favourite comic book shop. So I went along with my character, spent time with a number of total strangers (and I won't lie, some of them were exactly what you think of when you think of people playing D&D... hell, they're what I expected to see, and I know better) and played pretend for four hours.

There were kind of more people than I was expecting, to be honest, but that did mean that I got to be part of the smaller group who were all playing lower level characters. What was interesting was seeing the character personalities versus the player personalities. But there were definitely a couple of people in my group that I hope I play with again.

I also needed to drop by The Nut House afterwards, to pick up something I'd ordered ages ago from Rockchick, so that was... a thing that happened.

Everybody was really happy to see me, I got lots of hugs, but, you know what, I didn't have the slightest twinge of missing the place. It felt almost exactly the same as when I left it, even though a few of the other people (outside of The Nut House) have left or been replaced or both.

I ended hanging out there for about an hour, and then made my way home.

Other than a somewhat atypical burst of creative writing on Thursday the rest of the week was pretty average.

Today was a little slow.

I was slow getting started and off to the supermarket, then when I got there I ran into someone I know and lost another ten minutes or so getting all caught up with him.

Originally I'd been thinking about making lasagna this week, but I'll be honest, I just couldn't be bothered with all the steps. So instead I'm going to go with tomato soup, although not the roasted variety since that was a little too much last time.

All of the delays meant that I was a little late heading down to Ma's place. But it's not like there's a whole hell of a lot of anything we had planned.

We did need to go to the other shopping centre roughly equidistant from her place... which is even more feral and low rent than the other one... which I actually didn't think was humanly possible, but there you go.

Suffice to say that we didn't hang around all that long.

When we got back, I asked Ma if she had something, knowing that she would have several different versions at the very least... which turned into us pulling everything out of the top of her wardrobe, amalgamating a lot of it, resituating some of it and throwing everything totally pointless away. Not exactly what we intended to do with the afternoon, but it was time well spent.

Granted it was also the easiest bit of Ma's place to actually go through like that.

It is fortunate that although we're both (as Adam Savage puts it) "high functioning hoarders", neither of us is particularly adverse to getting rid of something when we know it's no longer of any use.

Current Mood:

No comments: