photo saturday: swamp witch

verna blackwater - hexblood, swamp witch, druid

Putting the NPC idea on hold for now, as I'm not really super happy with any of the other ones I've made... so instead we've got what happens when I dig into a certain idea for DnD Character Colouring Book.

And that idea being, basically, a swamp witch.

So, combining the half-hag Hexblood with the mould and fungus themed Spores Druid. I've tried making Hexbloods before, but never quite got their "eldercross" correct, especially given that the book description of a "living, garland-like part of a hexblood’s body extends from their temples and wraps behind the head" doesn't actually vibe with the official art that we have, where the eldercross extends from the back of their head and wraps in front of the head.

But I finally found a Hero Forge set of horns that fit the bill of the text description.

I also realised that Verna has basically a bad but happy Irish Mrs Doubtfire accent (because all of my attempts at an Irish accent end up bad) on Friday after listening to a podcast featuring Irish people talking.

Yes, I'm still obsessed with this particular skirt, which also featured in the last two weeks. At some point they're going to give it a makeover, and I just hope it still looks as good. Once again though, I still love combining the overskirt with different overshirts giving the whole thing a different look.

Also yes, that Crawling Claw familiar is one that I've featured the last time I tried a Hexblood. Why reinvent the wheel when you already did the thing back in January last year.

So, Verna goes on the list of "backup characters that will probably never see the light of day".

Anyway...

As of last Friday, I have now read the same number of books since January that I read in the whole of 2022. So that's a thing that happened.

Fast forward through to Thursday. Specifically Thursday Night DnD.

After everybody being a little punchy last week, we had a brief clearing of the air at the start of this game, which was good. I mean, I didn't say everything I may have originally wanted to say, because some of it actually didn't need to be said. But it was good that we got there.

We've also, basically, found our way to the very outskirts of the beginning of the adventure we're supposed to be playing. Because we've actually been off the map the entire time thus far. I mean, we still need to get to the starting city next week, but we're nearly there.

Friday Night Not DnD was good. I mean, it started off when we were sure it was going to be a total TPK, given that we started off with no gear and I opened the This Is Where All The Enemies Are door before we found said gear. We did make it through however. Although my elf very nearly died.

I think I've said this before, but it's amazing to me how different each "level" of this game feel, given that it's always the exact same floor layout, it's just the door locations and rooms that change.

It was also a shorter level, so we ended up playing Dungeon Mayhem afterwards. And the issue with coming out hard in the first game and taking another player out and then winning is that you then have a giant target on your back for the rest of the games. I won one and basically got knocked out either first or second in every other game.

Anyway...

Today was basically just the supermarket.

Next week should, weather permitting, be slightly more interesting.

Current mood:

No comments: