photo saturday: peli can't

pelican percherpelican beak

pelican eyepelican face
Hi and welcome to this week's episode of "Yani Has Half A Functional Face", I'm your host, Yani, and I have half a functional face.

Yeah... there really isn't any dramatic news regarding the Bell's Palsy... I mean it's not any worse than it was last weekend, which is good, but it's also not any better. Which is understandable, since I think it's just going to gradually improve for the next month rather than dramatically coming back. I mean I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense to me.

But, I'm... frustrated. I'm tired of only being able to make half of an expression. I'm tired of having to drink all liquids with a straw or risk dribbling on myself. I'm tired of not being able to eat things properly. I'm tired of taping my eye shut while I sleep (yeah, that's about as fun as it sounds), and I'm going to have to do something about that because I'm pretty sure the application and removal of tape to the soft skin around my eye is definitely doing a number on said skin and irritating it. I'm tired of that eye just being weird. I'm also tired of not being able to form words properly.

Honestly, I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself. I'm okay generally, it's just a pain in the butt being "hobbled" like this. Plus I bit my tongue at some point during the week. So that's just painful and annoying. And using a plastic straw all week (including for coffee and soup) is irritating the roof of my mouth.

See, mostly just being a whinger.

Anyway.

I made tomato soup this week. It wasn't bad, although I possibly should have blended it with all the basil in rather than adding some more after the fact. Just led to lumps of green in the soup. Tasty lumps, but still lumps.

I also made a wholemeal loaf to go along with the soup. But I just don't seem to be able to get full loaves right. At least this one had the correct amount of salt in it, but it was, I think, a little underbaked. Could have done with ten more minutes or something.

I also put together the final chair for my table... so now I have a proper four person setting. I still haven't had cause to use it yet, but it's good it's complete.

Not really much else to report for this week.

Wednesday was Double DnD Day... the day game was at the other store, which means we start an hour later... and we neither finished off the game from last week, nor returned to the hardcover book we were doing before that. No, we did something entirely new and different. Something from the upcoming season. Which is one that I really don't care about. It was about what I expected... blah, blah cult, blah blah demons/devils. Not the worst "opener" I've seen, but not super impressive either.

The evening game was good... although at some point I feel like, as a group, we went from "underleveled for combat at this point in the story" to "doesn't last one round of combat". I mean that's partially because our ranger/rogue is a Min-Maxer who keeps accidentally rolling natural 20's. But also because we tend to go the "talk" rather than the "hit things" route, so we haven't really tested our skills for a while.

At the end of the game the MacGuffin machine we were dealing with accidentally MacGuffined and we were "sent back in time" to the very beginning of the hardcover. I would image that the DM is going to let us flail about in our own panic for at least the beginning of the session (I mean, I would) before the machine sends us back to the correct time again. I mean, otherwise, we'll make the fucker run the whole damn book over again.

Given my failure with the last couple of bread experiments, I went back to rolls on Thursday... although I did shove some cheese in half of them and chocolate in the other half. Perhaps not in the best possibly way, but they were very nice anyway.

Then on Friday I made another batch of the ciabatta dough to bake this morning after we got back from the supermarket.

Anyway...

This morning I got up pretty early and got the bread ready for it's second proofing, between that and getting ready, I was basically ready to go when Ma arrived.

This week I'm going to make chowder again, although I haven't necessarily decided whether or not to blend the whole thing down or to leave it chunky and then blend it on a day by day basis. The latter does sound like the better option... but Thursday is also supposed to be 30°C, so soup will seem like a bad idea probably.

We did the usual supermarket thing, came back, I threw the bread in the oven once it heated up, because fresh bread is the best.

Then we headed into the city because Ma wanted to grab some stuff at the Lincraft sale. So we did that, made a couple of other brief stops and then called it quits for the day.

Current Mood:

No comments: