Of the OG "Friends of Dorothy", before that became a different thing, the Scarecrow was always my favourite. Now, whether that was because we went through a phase of playing dress up at school when I was but a wee tiny homosexual and there was a, if memory serves, blue lamé jumpsuit thing in the box that I used to wear when we played "Oz", I have no idea. I only don't know if we actually WERE playing "Oz", but in my brain that blue jumpsuit and the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz are firmly cemented together.
Regardless, he's my favourite.
Thus we have the third of the quartet for today's DnD Character Colouring Book... who naturally had to be a Reborn, because one of the possible origins of a Reborn is... "In public, you pass as an unremarkable individual, but you can feel the itchy straw stuffing inside you." I just chose to ignore the first bit and go full Halloween Horror Scarecrow.
Originally I made him an Undead Patron Warlock with a crow/raven familiar... and honestly, he might still HAVE a crow familiar, because the Vestige Patron gives you an additional companion. My thought here being that because the Vestige is "the power of a dying god, a being once worshipped by countless followers but now abandoned and forgotten"... what worked well with the idea of The Great And Powerful Oz, because this is clearly post him fucking off back to Ohio or wherever in the balloon. And all that left over worship fed into that idea and became the Vestige Oz. Which appears like the disembodied head that first greeted Dorothy.
And Investigator felt right for who he comes in the later books, Sage would also have worked.
And of course, because it was used to light him on fire at one point, the Scarecrow is absolutely the one who would end up with the Witch's Broom of Flying. Which is a Photoshop Frankenstein because the only broomstick we have is very early Hero Forge and entirely too chonky.
The hat is just because I love the original item, Hat of Vermin, which makes frogs, rats and bats three times a day... so it seemed right to make a version that just makes crows. He's not wearing it because the mask stupidly takes up the hat slot.
Anyway...
Soup this week was a return to Lasagne Soup, because that's just a great option, but also because it's relatively easy on this week that was also my Rental Inspection... more on that later.
The Mini Media Reviews for this week goeth thusly...
Mortal Kombat II. I didn't care for the first one. It was positively fucking Shakespeare compared to this dumpster fire. It was so bad, in fact, that the only decent character was Kano, and I hated him in the last movie. They also dragged Karl Urban into this mess... clearly he had a house payment due or something. Because even he is bad in it... but that's mostly an issue with the script and direction. And the delusion that they thing that they're getting a third one.
The Critic. This is one of those movies where I didn't quite know what I was getting into. I mean I knew it was Ian McKellen and that it was set in the 1930's. What I didn't expect was McKellen to essentially be the villain of the piece. And for the cast to be quite so stacked. It was occasionally a little hard to watch, but overall very, very good.
The Day of the Jackal. Speaking of very, very good. I have zero knowledge of the book, the 1973 movie of the same name or the remake from 1997. But this version is excellent. Eddie Redmayne as the titular Jackal and Lashana Lynch, last seen as Nomi in the abysmal No Time To Die, as the MI6 agent out of catch him are both fantastic in their roles. I could have done with a little less of the "Spanish storyline". But overall it was amazing. Just the internal backflips you have to do as an audience member between "oh, you absolutely have to kill that person and get away with it" to "nooooo... you can't kill that person" within the space of about five minutes. I cannot wait for the second season that's supposed to be coming in 2027.
As I said, this week was Rental Inspection week. And I was struggling a little with my back playing up. Surprisingly, or I guess not so much, standing around instead of sitting actually mostly fixed the issue, at least enough that I was no longer struggling.
I did the kitchen and associated bits and pieces on Sunday and left the bathroom and all the floors until Monday. A nice solid system.
Then Tuesday I did my usual trick and disappeared out the house for the morning.
And, as always, coming back to the very clean house is always much better than cleaning the house.
Friday Night DnD was... the culmination of a terrible idea I accidentally put into the world, namely that we should make the underleveled B Team meet up with the A Team in the End Game. Will they make it? Who can say. Will they survive? Questionable. Will it mean I end up running entirely too many characters at once? Yes, yes it will. But if we can find Jordan's second character, then so will he.
That is if they're not all devolved into a monster tentacled brain beast. We'll have too wait and see.
I will say that though I stand by my decision to leave my boy Whisper behind, flicking over to his sheet and seeing all his spells and spell slots vs my girl Molly does leave me with a slight pang of regret.
And if I didn't already realise that my tolerance for the description of body horror is far greater than the other members of the party, this session definitely confirmed it.
Anyway...
A fairly average Supermarket Day. Although there was some requirement to top up some of the cleaning supplies I used up or mostly used up this week.
And that was it really... not a hugely exciting day.

No comments:
Post a Comment