photo saturday: forest protector

rowan of sylvania - guide, defender, warrior

Before there was Oren, there was Rowan. Playing around with possible 2024 PHB concepts for DnD Character Colour Book, I very much gravitated towards the Path of the World Tree Barbarian, and I've always like the idea of an elf barbarian, and meshing the concept of a Wood Elf and the tree themed barbarian seemed appropriate.

Plus, I had the idea that she carried around some powdered ash from Big Important Tree and that's what she uses to decorate her face each day, paying homage to the tree that she calls upon for her power.

But then Oren happened, and I loved the grumpy little green gnome guy, so I put Rowan on the back burner. Until I was trying to fill out the classes and didn't really have an interesting fit for Paladin.

rowan of sylvania - loner, knight, protector

Did I basically just change her outfit a little, give her a slight haircut and juggle around her background concept a little? Yes, yes I did. I will admit that I don't know if she is 100% the Paladin concept I would actually end up going with if I did play a paladin, but I like her for now.

And the ash thing still totally works.

Anyway...

This week has been kind of all over the place.

We start with CHOWDAH. Yep, this week's soup of choice was potato, chicken and sausage chowder. My estimates of how much stuff I will need for soup still varies wildly. So this one came out to be a lot, mostly because of veggies.

This week was also a full week of Mini Movie Reviews.

Saturday - Blue Beetle. It's solidly mid. Once again, it's DC trying to crack the Marvel formula and failing real, real hard. Doesn't help that their lead has about as much charisma as a cardboard box. What I will say is that the "love interest", played by Bruna Marquezine is actually much better than the lead. I could also have done without the comedy relief familly.

Monday -  The Night Owl. South Korean period drama about a blind acupuncturist who finds himself in the middle of murder and mystery in the royal palace. What can I say, I have a weakness for Korean period movies.

Tuesday - Bullet Train. Why did nobody tell me this was fucking amazing? It's fucking amazing. Farce, action, a stellar cast. If you haven't seen it, see it immediately.

Wednesday - Robin Hood (2018 edition). My bar for how fucking terrible a movie can be was somewhat reset by this movie. It also made other things I saw not look as bad by comparison. This movie is a mess. The editing is horrible. Honestly, the premise is workable, but they didn't commit enough to turning Robin Hood into a period/modern/futuristic story. Instead they tried to have their cake and eat it to. When you're pulling story ideas from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, you know that your movie is in trouble. And I will never find Ben Mendelsohn even slightly intimidating, because I remember him from too many terrible Aussie TV shows from the 80's. Also, they absolutely did my boy Will Scarlett dirty.

Thursday - Mortal Kombat (2021 edition). If I had not watched Robin Hood, this would have been the worst thing I saw this week. Honestly, the 1995 one looks good in comparison. Again, the supposed lead has all the acting chops/personality of a wet cardboard box, the accents waver between Actually American and Australian Pretending to be American to Will Somebody Please Kill Kano Now. It also manages to be about the Mortal Kombat tournament without actually taking place AT said tournament. I also spend most of the final fight between Sub Zero and Wet Cardboard just marvelling at how the set had very clearly just been wrapped in plastic to simulate ice... and looked like plastic.

Also on Monday, my back was Having Issues. Not the usual issues either, more muscle spasm issues. Less good really. I still went for my walk, but I spend a chunk of the day laying on the bed to try and get things to settle down. Which mostly seemed to work. I also knew that I had a chiro appointment on Friday, which was good.

So, of course, Friday was Chiro Day... which meant chiro followed by random wandering of places.

Friday Night DnD was... not DnD. To be honest, it wasn't much of anything. For various reasons we just ended up sitting around the table and talking random crap for a couple of hours. So not unpleasant.

Anyway...

Today had two possible plans... we went with Plan B... but Plan A will return during the week.

So the usual supermarket stuff, then I had to finish up the crochet cuffs/arm warmers for Ma, which I had hoped was just closing them up, but turned out that they needed a couple more rows each before I did. But they came together pretty nicely. And Ma was pleased, so that's the main thing.

Then I needed to go to Spotlight because my body pillow is literally falling apart. Like the shitty cotton fabric it's made out of has degraded to the point where I grabbed it when I was changing my bed and my fingers went right through it. Stupid cheap crap.

And that was it really...

No comments: