photo saturday: seaside patina

verdant spinesstripe dancer

leafy sea dragonspade face
So, this week...

Let's just flag it as... not-usual. Not necessarily hugely exciting or monumentally different, but decidedly not-usual.

Starting with the beef stroga-not (as in not-stroganoff) I made on Sunday night. It wasn't terrible, in fact it was quite tasty, and it meant that I made noodles to go along with it every day but one when I made mashed potato... so not terrible overall.

Also on the weekend (and spilling over to Monday) I had to go through and do a bunch of stuff to update all of my dozen DnD characters to the "new system". And yeah, it is still stupid and makes no sense as a whole. And it took me way longer than I feel like it otherwise should have. But then I wasn't trying to break any land speed records, and I'm glad I took it slowly as there were a number of things I realised as I was doing things for the first character on the list that would have been annoying to work out halfway through.

Monday was the first game with the new system... and as expected while it didn't make a massive difference to the game as a whole, it was annoying in a number of areas, mostly in relation to the general economics of no found treasure and no found magic items. But there will definitely be adventures that are harder to run because of that.

We'll see how things go.

Wednesday was maybe a little bit of a trainwreck... one of the two tables (the one I was on) attempted to run one of the new, differently written/arranged adventures for the new season. I won't lie, I had some fun but it was basically a dumpster fire. And if this is the quality of the new season's adventures, I will absolutely pass on them.

Our DM also had a little bit of a... not a breakdown, but he decidedly lost the will to get excited about the adventure and to really be bothered moving forward with it. Which was probably half about him and half about the dumpster fire of an adventure.

Also, after the game a group of us sat around talking about this, that and the other, and ended up going to talk to the other store where we play about some of the issues we were having, and it turned into a very good and productive talk (mostly because I think he was already on the same page with a lot of it, and the other parts we either had easy answers for or said it was stuff that we would take back to the wider community... and yes, I hate myself for using the word community, but it is what it is).

Thursday. Thursday didn't happen. Our DM decided midway through the afternoon that he wasn't feeling well, and so I was thinking about stepping in, but then our host wasn't well, so we would have ended up at the store, and I'll be honest, I just wasn't feeling the vibe. So I relayed the message that everybody else could do whatever they wanted, but I was out.

And I stayed home for the first Thursday evening in over a year. And it wasn't even hugely weird.

Friday wasn't DnD related but I did get my copy of Thornwatch, the game from Penny Arcade that I backed all the way back in 2016, but feel like I've been following since it was first mentioned by Mike. And it's a beautiful looking object... well, set of objects. I will need to coerce some of my DnD friends into playing it with me at some point. Once I really get to grips with how the thing actually functions mechanically.

Today was simple.

We went shopping, I forgot three or four things, but I'll live without them. Neither of us bought a huge amount to be honest.

Then I needed new printer ink, so we went down the road to Officeworks, Ma found a "home brand" replacement for my TV remote that was literally a "put batteries in and it works" thing, and at long last I have full access to my mute button again, yay.

After Officeworks we went next door to the big Spotlight store that I think about visiting every time I got to that particular Officeworks and never remember to do. It's a BIG place too... full of many and varies pretty things that I have no use for and yet still want. We didn't get anything of interest there, but did have a big old wander around, which was nice.

We could have called it a day, but decided to detour back via the "nearby" Kmart, which wasn't really the best plan since Kmart is very much a "been to one, seen every single other one" than I remember it being, and we do the same loop in every single store.

And that was that really.

Current Mood:

No comments: