photo saturday: call him mister flint

mister flint - hunter, samurai, stoneface

So... sometimes you just do a throwaway thing and then you stop and think... wait, is this something? This was the situation I found myself in for this week's DnD Character Colouring Book. I was half fucking around with the (yet even more) new swords that dropped this week and the weird rock people race that appeared a couple of weeks back, thinking about some kind of Fighter.

And I just slapped an existing costume on the model and looked at the dumb, dumb, dumb hat on that head... and it became a character.

I also love the idea of taking something that would otherwise absolutely be a gunslinger of some sort, and turn it into a sword and board fighter. And originally I'd picked out a normal shield, but then I saw the busted up one. Now, firstly, I wish there was a "clean" version of that shield, because I really like the wood texture, but secondly, I love the idea that it's still a fully functional shield, but at some point some random monster took a bite out of it. Which, honestly, tells you a lot about Flint as a character.

And yes, while he's a "samurai", it's less about him being a fantasy version of a historical Japanese military nobility, and more the description on the subclass... 

The Samurai is a fighter who draws on an implacable fighting spirit to overcome enemies. A samurai’s resolve is nearly unbreakable, and the enemies in a samurai’s path have two choices: yield or die fighting.

Yeah, story checks out. And that very much syncs up with both an Earth Genasi and an Urban Bounty Hunter.

Will Mr Flint (and yes, I think he's probably Mr Flint, but the sword kinda protruded over where they would otherwise appear) ever see the light of day? Would I give him a makeover if he did? Who can say. I mean, I can, I can say... and probably no to the first and probably yes to the second.

Anyway.

This week's soup was one of those tomato, chicken and rice deals... and, honestly, I very good version. I added a touch of cayenne pepper which added a really nice warmth to it.

Also, I had my rental inspection on Tuesday, so I did half the cleaning on Sunday and then did the full vacuum/mop/wipe down everything not nailed down clean on Monday. And as such, it didn't consume the entire day like it used to when I did it all at once.

Fast forward to Tuesday... and after checking everything was good to go about 400 times, I toddled off around 1pm to do a bunch of other things and generally Not Be Here.

That involved... [deep breath]...

  • Driving to Burnside Library to drop books off
  • Leaving the car there and walking over to Burside Village
  • Having The Feelings about the place I used to go All The Time
  • Getting a pie from the Village Bakery, which is The Best
  • Walking down to the bus stop I always used to use and catching the bus into the city
  • Picking up my preorder copy of B Dylan Hollis' cookbook, Baking Yesteryear from Dymocks (woo)
  • Catching the bus back to the library
  • Reading my book for about three quarters of an hour and picking up a book that was on the No Holds list
  • Coming home four hours later to a very clean and inspected apartment

And I say it every single time, but the very best feeling in all the world is coming home to a thoroughly cleaned apartment that has already been inspected and you can just enjoy.

Unsurprisingly I let my body recuperate after all the bending and stretching and doing of things.

Thursday Night DnD was... a lot. Which is what happens when your character has the personality trait "I must know the answer to every secret, no door remains unopened in my presence" when confronted with what is clearly a secret door with a very disturbing phrase scrawled on it about basically being fine with your own death and abandon all hope ye who enter here and such... and basically meant that my character and another character were disappeared off elsewhere and the rest of the party had to work through the "are they dead, are they alive, what do we do" trauma.

Then, when we finally managed to reunite after having to play basically two different games for a while, half the party were sent insane and started attacking the rest of the party. Well... half the party went insane... two thirds of the rest passed their save... and... I hadn't stepped into the space that triggered the effect yet.

Until the very end of the game, when, in order to distract another member of the party from trying to do a murder on the last remaining crazy person, I stepped into the room. And we ended the game there, at my request, before I rolled my save. Because I am, in fact, literal Satan.

But I rolled the save last night when DM Fluffy arrived at my place. And I rolled... a 4. So, look forward to next week when the rogue with the magic item that lets him turn invisible fucks up the barbarian who hasn't gotten around to raging yet.

Or. Stab, stab, stabitty stab.

And I get to be evil to the player who will absolutely be the most "traumatised" by it. So, you know, good times.

Thursday was also the six year anniversary of the first game I played with the original three Thursday boys, which very much makes me go both "how has it been so long?" and also "it's literally been five minutes".

Friday Night DnD is what happens when Mr Grumpants McSecret-haver fails an Insight check against my Bird Boy who "always wants to know how things work and what makes people tick" after someone from his past who clearly Knew Things and also Was Dumb showed up... and the party basically keeps splitting up and doing it's own thing, leading to me being able to discover A Big Secret. 

I mean, I basically have a name for Mrs Grumpypants. And while the character doesn't know yet, Fluffy, the player in question, hates Everything About It... which is, in fact, giving me life. See aforementioned literal Satan.

Also, my current Really Dumb Idea is that that sword that has a name and that he won't let out of his sight, won't let other people touch, literally sleeps while cuddling... is Mrs Grumpypants. Somehow. I mean, I'm also sure that it literally isn't (it's much more likely that his wife just GAVE him the sword or something pedestrian... but that's the fucking boring option). But I just want to record the idea here so that later when I'm proved correct I can be smug about it. Which definitely won't happen. But should.

Anyway.

Today was foggy.

No, literally. I got up, took a shower, opened the blinds in the living room and went "huh, guess the shower fogged up the windows... also, the bedroom windows and the kitchen windows... wait... what?". Only to look out the bathroom window, which was open, to discover, no, just actual fog.

So that was exciting. For a limited understanding of the word exciting. Given that we rarely get mist or fog or similar.

And honestly, it was more lazy rain than it was fog. Basically rain that couldn't be bothered falling all the way to the ground. But it lasted all the way from when I got out the shower to after we finished at the supermarket, but disappeared shortly afterwards. Although it hung out up in the hills a while longer.

We did the supermarket thing. And after not really deciding to do anything else, changed out minds and did a brief trip to Spotlight for Looking At Things.

No comments: