photo saturday: little green guardian

oren wildwander - guardian, warrior, arboreous

I'm laying the blame for today's DnD Character Colouring Book squarely at the feet of all the videos walking through the upcoming 2024 DnD core rulebooks. Because of all the new artworks for the core races, the one of the gnomes is possibly my favourite. They just look so cute (I'm not switching from my deep love of halflings, but let's not talk about the deeply terrible new race artwork for the halflings... they all look like Dark Crystal podlings and I hate it), and there's a green skinned kid gnome at the bottom of the image that I'm just obsessed with. So I took that idea and matched it up with the subclass that I absolutely want to play as my second character... the Path of the World Tree barbarian.

And we end up with Oren Wildwander, guardian of a gnomish/elvish/druidic forest enclave.

I also hope that the final rules follow the path of the playtest rules and remove the penalty for small creatures trying to use heavy weapons. Because it just makes sense that they would be using a heavy weapon designed for them. If not, then the two handed maul (which is a combination of like three different Hero Forge items) just goes back to being a warhammer.

Anyway...

This week's soup was potato and leek basically... and maybe I should have blended it up... it was... fine. You can always tell when I'm not really vibing with it, because if I have any potential other option on Friday, I take it. Thus was the case this week.

Mini movie reviews this week kind of ran the gamut... Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (yes, I know) and Hail, Caesar!.

I was curious about TRotB just because it's the "sequel" to Bumblebee... but sadly, it throws away all the good work that movie did and just does the same old same old. Also, it introduces the "Maximals" who have always been kind of stupid. Because the point of Transformers is that they go from Robot Person to Some Other Thing That They're Disguised As. The Maximals just go from Robot Person to Robot Animal. And they transform from Robot Animal to Robot Person for a grand total of about 11 seconds on the movie, during a battle, so you barely see them.

The movie overall is pretty dumb, and then it really crowns the dumb cake with dumb sprinkles right at the very end of the movie when they try to tie in the GI Joe universe into the Transformers universe. It's just very dumb.

Hail, Caeser! on the other hand, is a lot of fun. I was kind of expecting more from it, or at least, expecting the story to go slightly further than it did, but I realised at the end that that wasn't what it was doing. And what it was doing, it does incredibly well. Worth a watch.

There wasn't a third movie this week, mostly because my back, much like clockwork, has been doing it's monthly bullshit. Fuck that literal noise.

Otherwise, it's just been damn fucking cold this week.

Friday Night DnD was... a lot. I mean, it was and it wasn't. It was a lot narratively, but we also dipped into a location I think we were supposed to spend a lot more time in, and then almost immediately dipped back out again and finalised some of Fluffy's backstory story.

But sadly we're off for two weeks because Mr and Mrs are off on holiday.

Anyway...

Today wasn't much of anything... I had vague plans, but then woke up to it just raining... so, yeah, fuck that. Plans can wait.

Instead, after the supermarket, we watched the Puss in Boots sequel. Because I'd grabbed it from the library so that I could give it another go. I think my previous brief commentary stands, there are cute moments, the speed ramping/animating on 2's that I think is happening in most of the fight scenes still feels... odd. But less so than it did the first time through.

And that was it really.

No comments: