photo saturday: witch season

granny thornback - witch, lorekeeper, curmudgeon

This isn't the first time I've taken inspiration from the Witches of Discworld... it's not even the second time. Admittedly, the first time was literally working out how to make Granny Weatherwax in DnD. Which is how I got to Bard. Because Discworld Witches are Bards.

They don't play musical instruments (for the most part), they don't sing (excluding Nanny Ogg), they don't dance around, especially not at midnight with no clothes on (see also the exclusion of Nanny Ogg, also "the question of stones, thistles, and sudden hedgehogs"). But they do, the best ones anyway, do Headology. And the Bard spell list in DnD does lean in the general direction of Headology.

So to me, mechanically, Granny Weatherwax is a Bard. Narratively, of course, she's a witch.

But mostly this happened because last Sunday I was attempting some crocheting (which I subsequently frogged because it wasn't doing what I wanted it to do) and had run out of things to watch/listen to, so I just stuck on the audiobook for Witches Abroad and let it chug away merrily in the background.

And of course because my brain was just chugging along I started thinking about attempting a Discworld witch in Hero Forge. Thus Granny Thornback was born.

To be fair, the name was the bit that probably took the longest time. But I came back around to Thornback, which is, in general terms, a term for an unmarried woman over the age of about 25, it's what comes after spinster and before old maid I believe. Or all three were used somewhat interchangeably.

And while it's supposed to be a pejorative term, it's also completely badass, and, honestly fitting for a character inspired by Granny Weatherwax. The first name went around and around and around. And eventually, given that all the other possible names had some other pop culture association I wasn't looking for, I ended up accidentally pulling from one of my favourite movies, What's Up Doc. And if I needed a shortened version like Esmeralda to Esme, then Una is right there.

This was also one of those instances where the Hero Forge design itself is incredibly simple (although I had a lot of fun with the face), but I went in and applied additional textures and some additional Photoshop edits (mostly making the hat look like it actually fits on her head properly) and adding the brooch.

Will I ever play her? Probably not. I'm very over Bards. Even the 2024 Bards. But I like her being in the catalogue anyway.

Anyway...

This week's soup was essentially Minestrone. My version, naturally. But with a tiny amount of paprika, which just elevated it.

It was also a very Movie forward week. 

Firstly, I attempted Star Trek: Strange New Worlds on Saturday. And I made it all the way through the first three episodes and no power in the universe could have compelled me to watch more. I didn't realise you needed some familiarity with Discovery in order to understand why you're supposed to care about a group of very clear war criminals out ignoring the Prime Directive left, right and centre. Pretty much the majority of the characters in that show should be kicked out of Starfleet immediately.

I found every person in that show completely charmless, mostly smug and incredibly unlikable. I absolutely do not care about Star Trek: The Original Series, and even less so about cobbling together a bunch of characters from the pilot episode and mixing in TOS characters. Also, the needless callbacks to things I either didn't get or didn't care about.

Honestly, just make new things. Stop regurgitating nostalgia.

Monday was better. I watched the miniseries of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None miniseries from 2015. Which is very good. Also possibly the only version of that story that I've seen where the people being killed off seem like the deserve it. Which certainly adds to the vibes. And they definitely made a few changes, as they often do, and I quite liked the ones that I noticed. Particularly (no spoilers) what they did with the ending. Because it's no surprise in these modern interpretations that they like to change things up.

Tuesday was an actual movie at the movies.

Wednesday was Godzilla Minus One. I have some general issues with the few Japanese Godzilla movies that I've seen. They're, generally speaking, about everything other than Godzilla. Which is fine, the problem comes in when the lead actor you're supposed to care about is a bit of a damp squib and you generally dislike his character. I will say that Shin Godzilla, even with it's weird and fucked up monster, does this idea better. There are also some issues with the effects (Godzilla walking through incredibly deep water for no in-universe reason for example). Not a huge fan.

Then Thursday was Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga... I'm on record as being ambivalent towards Fury Road. Although I appreciated it more on a second viewing. I have also said since the beginning that Anya Taylor Joy is incredibly miscast as the younger version of Furiosa. Because in no universe does a woman whose face is 35% eyes grow up to be Charlize. Especially when you essentially cover all of her face but her eyes and only let her act with them. And you give her some of the worst wigs I've seen in a minute. Maybe next time we don't employ the woman who is contractually unable to cut her hair to play a character who should have short hair.

Also, Chris Hemsworth is... from a different movie. He's from Mad Max: A Wasteland Musical Comedy. He's not BAD, he's just... Doing Too Much. And much like Fury Road was a movie about Furiosa and did not need to have the title character of Mad Max in it at all, so the Furiosa movie mostly isn't about and doesn't really require Furiosa.

If I didn't already know that this movie was written before Fury Road and was nearly made before it, I would have assumed that this was a cheap cash grab sequel mandated by the studio.

It's also, compared to Fury Road, mostly an ugly movie. The effects are often really bad and stick out like a sore thumb. And a lot more things seem to have been done in CGI rather than practically. Or they're more obvious when they are.

I am not a fan.

There was no Friday Night DnD or Movie Night with Fluffy this week due to People Taking Interstate Trips. So instead I watched The Amazing Maurice, based on the Terry Pratchett book of (mostly) the same name.

It's not, perhaps, one of the better Pratchett books... it's solidly fine. And the movie adaptation is... solidly mid. The voice cast is solid, although the problem I have when you use well known English actors is all I can hear are the well known English actors. But it's hard to elevate an adaptation of a book that wasn't great to begin with. And the art style isn't doing anyone any favours.

Anyway...

Today wasn't really much of anything. Really just the supermarket.

No comments: