character saturday: dwarfin' about

gwyn oresong - crafter, cleric, ex

Sometimes a character ends up different than how you imagined her... but you're okay with that. This week's DnD Character Colouring Book is the third character that I'm playing in Friday Night DnD... who is actually an NPC, and I really shouldn't actually be running her, but we're here now, and it is what it is.

Welcome to the stage the woman keeping us all alive, Forgesmith Gwyn Oresong.

I do enjoy putting muttonchops on a female dwarf, it always just adds a little something. Now, once again, this isn't the first time we've seen the base of this character. But the previous version was very much covered head to toe in armor. Whereas, our dear Gwyn is wearing plate armour we happened to find in an abandoned dwarven mine. And I chose to ditch a helmet in order to show off her pretty hair.

Is the outfit perfect? No, but the armor is supposed to be somewhat ceremonial, and for a god of mining and underground exploration. And not Gwyn's actual deity. 

Amusingly, because Fluffy had made it canon before I took Gwyn over that his third character for the campaign and her had dated, it lets me poke his character in all kinds of fun ways. Does she want to get back together? Does she just miss that half-elf strange? Is this just a matter of trauma bonding and she'll be over it when the adventure is done? Who can say? Mostly I can't say, because I'm making it up as I go.

It's also fun for me because very often my girl Molly doesn't really pay attention to things going on that she doesn't care about. But I can always switch to Gwyn for those moments.

Is running basically two characters all the time problematic and something I tell people not to do? Absolutely. But we're here now. 

Anyway...

Soup this week was a play on the Halfling Everything Soup in the D&D cookbook from a couple of years ago. Given my propensity for halflings, and also soup, I decided to take the Everything part of Halfling Everything Soup literally. And using the idea of the soup as a base, I messed around with some different ingredients, including some mushrooms and tarragon instead of thyme. Because why not. I also added a bit of cayenne pepper just for a bit of a kick. Worked out really well overall.

The Mini Media Reviews for this week were something of a rollercoaster.

Firstly, The Kid Who Would Be King. I honestly wasn't expecting a hell of a lot, but it was actually pretty damn good. Sure, it's kind of Nepo Baby: The Movie, because the lead kid is Andy Serkis's son and the guy who plays Merlin is Celia Imbrie's son. So, just kind of those two really. They're both very good though. And the movie has more heart than I was expecting.

Next up, the low point for the week, the very last of the Peter Ustinov movies where he played Poirot, Appointment with Death. Which is borderline unwatchable. I absolutely blame the director, because he has to be the one telling all the actors to overact the shit out of the material, but also he's the one making the choice to score the thing with 80's sitcom music. The whole thing was terrible, which I kind of knew going in... but it didn't even rise to meet my very low expectations.

Last up was Classroom of the Elite. Not an intentional pick, but it happened to be on the shelf when I was looking for something to round out my week. Does the description call this a "high school"? Yes. Are some of these male students clearly 35 years old? Also yes. Is the Japanese obsession with inappropriately aged female animated people on full display? Hell yes. Is the only sensible explanation that this is some kind of higher learning institution and not a place for young teens? Yes.

Having said all of that, and removing the very gratuitous objectification of essentially every single female character (and none of the male characters)... the story is fairly interesting. Now that may just be because they're obfuscating the story behind a bunch of mystery... we'll have to see, because I have ordered the second season in.

In other news, you know that feeling when you both want to yell "why did nobody bother to fucking tell me in the correct amount of detail" as well as "how can it possibly make any fucking difference" and also "I mean, sure, I guess so". That was my Wednesday afternoon, when I went back to get a second vaccine, only to be told that it needed to be "at least 28 days" between the shots and that I was at "27 days". Sure, it's supposed to be 28 days for the body to build up a resistance. But also, seriously? Do all the little vaccine cells have their Google Calendars out checking that it's been the right amount of days? Or should the "four weeks" I was originally told have been fine.

Urgh.

So now I'm going back in a couple of weeks. Which is fine, because I wanted to go back for something else anyway.

See, that's the problem, you go see a medical professional once for one thing, suddenly you have to keep going back repeatedly.

Friday Night DnD was very much a case of Come Up With A Plan, Execute A Plan, Collect Reward. Granted, executing the plan took pretty much the whole session, but we got there.

Anyway...

Not much to report for today... just the usual supermarketry. Although I do wish that they'd stop moving certain shelves around in the back half of the store. Especially since there really doesn't seem to be much of a reasoning behind it all, given that they're not adding new things to the vacated shelves, they're just temporarily bulking it out with additional stock. I did ponder today whether they're not trying to condense certain things in order to remove a whole aisle and widen some of the other ones.

Time will tell I guess.

No comments: